PGI User Forum
 SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist     RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

CUDA-x86.

compile error with pgf90 with mpi
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PGI User Forum Forum Index -> Programming and Compiling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Madhu

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:26 pm    Post subject: compile error with pgf90 with mpi Reply with quote

Hi All,

I am getting the following error when I compile my code using pgf90 (mpif90) (PGI ver. 6.0) with mpich ver 1.2.6. This error shows up only when I increase my domain size beyond a certain point. I tried using -mcmodel=medium as a compile option with mpif90, but this did not solve the problem. I will shortly write to the mpich forum/contact, but I thought I'll just share it with the PGI group to see if anyone has come across such an error and what may be causing it.

Any pointers/workaround/suggestions highly appreciated!
-Madhu

/opt/mpich.pgi-1.2.6/lib/libmpich.a(isend.o)(.text+0x21b): In function `PMPI_Isend':
: relocation truncated to fit: R_X86_64_PC32 MPIR_shandles
/opt/mpich.pgi-1.2.6/lib/libmpich.a(irecv.o)(.text+0x21c): In function `PMPI_Irecv':
: relocation truncated to fit: R_X86_64_PC32 MPIR_rhandles
/opt/mpich.pgi-1.2.6/lib/libmpich.a(mperror.o)(.text+0x125): In function `MPIR_Errors_are_fatal':
: relocation truncated to fit: R_X86_64_PC32 MPID_MyWorldRank
/opt/mpich.pgi-1.2.6/lib/libmpich.a(mperror.o)(.text+0x25c): In function `MPIR_Errors_warn':
: relocation truncated to fit: R_X86_64_PC32 MPID_MyWorldRank
/opt/mpich.pgi-1.2.6/lib/libmpich.a(commreq_free.o)(.text+0xd7): In function `PMPI_Request_free':
: relocation truncated to fit: R_X86_64_PC32 MPIR_shandles
/opt/mpich.pgi-1.2.6/lib/libmp
mkcolg

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Madhu,

You might want to check with the MPICH experts but I don't beileve MPICH-1 allows for large data objects. In the past, I've worked around this limit by breaking-up my large matrix and sending them in pieces. Hopefully others have better solutions.

- Mat
mstock

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see the same problems compiling my code with pgf90, but with no MPICH stuff involved. The arrays seem to be limited to around 100MB, which doesn't get me very far on a 32GB machine.

pgf90 -w -Mlfs -Bstatic -mcmodel=medium -s -fast -tp p7-64 -o runfmm_pgf90_xeon runfmm.o setup.o legendre.o direct.o fmm1.o buildtree.o octree.o mod_octree.o boxcoev.o boxcoes.o interaction.o search.o multipole.o fmm2v.o fmm2s.o influence.o kernel.o diffuse.o vrm.o cottet.o input.o matrix.o quadrature.o output.o dynamic.o lump_vortons.o split_vortons.o vary_core_size.o streamline.o timer.o
/opt/pgi/linux86-64/6.1/libso/libpgf90.a(initpar.o)(.text+0xf2): In function `__hpf_initarg':
: relocation truncated to fit: R_X86_64_PC32 .bss
/opt/pgi/linux86-64/6.1/libso/libpgf90.a(initpar.o)(.text+0x121): In function `__hpf_initarg':
: relocation truncated to fit: R_X86_64_PC32 .bss
...more of the same...
mstock

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...addition:

I can't make a static executable, at least. It builds without "-Bstatic". Which, still, doesn't help me much.
mkcolg

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi mstock,

Objects compiled with "-mcmodel=medium" can not be statically linked. This is a Linux limitation rather than PGI limitation.

Instead, try compiling with just "-Mlarge_arrays", which can be statically linked. While you'll be using the small memory model, arrays larger than 2GB can be still used so long as they are dynamically allocated. Also, make sure that your array index variables are declared as INTEGER*8.

Hope this helps,
Mat
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PGI User Forum Forum Index -> Programming and Compiling All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: