PGI User Forum
 SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist     RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

CUDA-x86.

OpenMP and MPI

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PGI User Forum Forum Index -> Accelerator Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
THX 1138

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:11 pm    Post subject: OpenMP and MPI Reply with quote

Is there some book or paper that discusses OpenMP and MPI for us newbies. I am not sure how to use it on my program which is basically legacy c code. Recommend a book(s) or paper(s), please.

THX 1138
mkcolg

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi THX 1138,

For OpenMP, I'd recommend starting at the OpenMP resources page http://openmp.org/wp/resources/. They have several tutorials and book suggestions.

For MPI, there is a lot of material on the web. Doing a web search for "MPI Tutorials" will yield several results. Personally, I use "MPI - The Complete Reference" but this is just a reference book not a "how to programming using MPI".

- Mat
GlobalGeophysical

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:28 pm    Post subject: MPI tutorial Reply with quote

Best way to learn MPI for a newbie is to download MPI and examine and run the pi.c program in the examples directory. You will learn how to set up the mpi ring (lam or mpich or openmp -- all slightly different), how to test the ring, how to destroy it, and of course, how to run your program on "n" processing elements. It doesn't cover everything but gets you started. Then jump to a reference guide from LLNL or elsewhere on using MPICH or whichever you have chosen.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PGI User Forum Forum Index -> Accelerator Programming All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: