Error: "'bin2c' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file."

lzkxmclzkx

Error: "'bin2c' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file."

Post by lzkxmclzkx » Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:44 am

I'm trying to setup the latest PGI Community Edition (https://www.pgroup.com/products/community.htm) for Windows, on a non-NVIDIA GPU computer.

I understand that this is possible, based on this page https://developer.nvidia.com/pgi-cuda-cc-x86 (who's download redirects me to the PGI Community Edition),

The PGI CUDA C compiler for x86 platforms allows developers using CUDA to compile and optimize their CUDA applications to run on x86-based workstations, servers and clusters with or without an NVIDIA GPU accelerator.

However after installing Visual Studio with appropriate components like the instructions asked, and installing PGI Community Edition, I get the following error when I run

Code: Select all

nvcc hello_world.cu

Anybody know what the error is?

The hello_world.cu program,

Code: Select all

#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <cuda_runtime.h>

__global__ void cuda_hello(){
    printf("Hello World from GPU!\n");
}

int main() {
    cuda_hello<<<1,1>>>(); 
    return 0;
}

aglobus

Re: Error: "'bin2c' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file."

Post by aglobus » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:27 am

Hi,
for Windows, on a non-NVIDIA GPU computer.
With that, do you mean there is a non-NVIDIA GPU in the computer? PGI is supported only on Nvidia Tesla cards (though I've seen people use GeForce cards with some success), and CUDA is an Nvidia-specific technology. You'll run into some problems if you try to use a card from a different manufacturer. If there isn't a GPU in the machine, you can still use PGI compilers to generate multicore code. CUDA is specific to Nvidia GPUs.

nvcc technically is not bundled with PGI, but instead should be part of the CUDA toolkit. PGI 19.4 should support CUDA 10.0 and 10.1. It might be prudent to put a post up on the CUDA forums asking about the bin2c dependency. It's not something that PGI bundles in our packages.