PGI 2011 Version Information and New Features
A summary of new features in each version of the PGI 2011 release.
Approximately each month PGI releases a version update. These updates include both new features and bug fixes. The new features added with each version are listed below. Bug fixes are listed on the PGI Release 2011 Technical Problem Reports summary page.
Complete details on the new features listed here are included in the PGI Release Notes and the PGI Visual Fortran® Release Notes.
PGI 2011 version 11.10
- Seven user-requested enhancements and fixes
PGI 2011 version 11.9
- PGI compilers — support for AMD AVX-enabled Bulldozer-based processors.
- PGI Accelerator C/C++ — performance optimized beta release of the PGI C/C++ for CUDA compiler targeting multi-core x86 processors (CUDA-x86).
- PGPROF® Profiler — support for latest version of oprofile.
- Plus 22 user-requested enhancements and fixes
PGI 2011 version 11.8
- CUDA Fortran — support for the option -mcmodel=medium. New module defines interfaces to the NVIDIA CUBLAS library.
- PGI for Windows — updated Cygwin to version 1.7.9-1.
- PGI for MacOS — support for Mac OS X Lion 10.7.
- Plus 30 user-requested enhancements and fixes
PGI 2011 version 11.7
- PGI compilers — 256 bit wide vector intrinsics called for AVX-enabled targets; other AVX optimizations.
- CUDA Fortran — CUDA 4.0 API updates; updated CUDA Fortran Programming Guide and Reference.
- Fortran 2003 — support for Final Procedures.
- PGDBG® Debugger — new Call Stack display and capabilities; added support for up-arrow and command line history.
- Plus 17 user-requested enhancements and fixes
PGI 2011 version 11.6
- PGI compilers — support for Intel AVX-enabled Sandy Bridge processors.
- PGI Accelerator compilers — support for calling subroutines or CUDA kernels using device-resident data.
- CUDA Fortran — support for shared memory automatics in device code, limited support for printing from device code, and added a module for using the NVIDIA CUBLAS library.
- CUDA-x86 — emulated version of the CUBLAS library.
- Fortran 2003 — support for sourced allocation.
- PGI C++ compiler — significant improvements in the treatment of throwing and non-throwing functions.
- Plus 19 user-requested enhancements and fixes.
PGI 2011 version 11.5
- PGI Accelerator C/C++ — added support for compiling CUDA C/C++ to run on x86 targets with or without an NVIDIA GPU accelerator. This is a functional release; x86 performance has not been optimized (due later in 2011). CUDA features not supported in this release include:
- no support for the CUDA driver API (no plans)
- no support for texture memory (Q4, 2011)
- no support for OpenGL interoperability (to be determined)
- no support for warp-synchronous programming (no plans)
- no support for CUBLAS and CUFFT libraries (due in 11.6)
- no support for the Thrust C++ library (to be determined)
- Plus 24 user-requested enhancements and fixes.
PGI 2011 version 11.4
- PGI Accelerator — expanded support for libm math routines and added support for most of the NVIDIA device built-in routines, added the ability to access the GPU timers during execution and added new routines to simplify allocating memory in C. Using the new deviceptr( ) clause, this memory can be used within PGI Accelerator regions with no implicit data movement.
- PGI Visual Fortran — support for Visual Studio 2010 SP1.
- PGPROF Profiler and PGDGB Debugger — support user-specific preferences, standardized menus, updated names and better implementation for choosing and setting fonts. PGDBG debugger also includes a new docking framework that allows tabs to be moved and "torn off" into separate windows.
- Plus 19 user-requested enhancements and fixes.
PGI 2011 version 11.3
- PGI Accelerator C99 & Fortran and CUDA Fortran — added support for 64-bit Mac OS X.
- PGI Visual Fortran — added runtime property page to allow runtime check of array bounds, pointers and the stack. Added Stack Reserve Size and Stack Commit Size options to the Linker | General property page.
- PGPROF Profiler — re-enabled text mode operation.
- Plus 11 user-requested enhancements and fixes.
PGI 2011 version 11.2
- PGI on Windows — updated Cygwin tools to version 1.7.7
- Plus 22 user-requested enhancements and fixes.
PGI 2011 version 11.1
- 11 user-requested enhancements and fixes.
- PGI Accelerator C99 and Fortran compilers — include support for the full PGI Accelerator Programming Model v1.2 specification for directive-based GPU programming and optimization.
- CUDA Fortran — explicit NVIDIA CUDA programming with a native Fortran 2003 compiler. New extensions and enhancements include CUDA Fortran module data sharing, !$CUF KERNEL directive, optimized array slice assignments and the CUDA Fortran SDK 1.0.
- Fortran — full support for Fortran 2003.
- C/C++ — improved GNU and Microsoft compatibility, improved BOOST support and thread-safe exception handling.
- Compiler optimizations and enhancements — support for AVX code generation, C++ inlining and executable size improvements
- PGPROF Profiler — improved usability, GPU-side performance statistics and updated graphical user interface.