PGI User Forum
 SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist     RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

CUDA-x86.

installcdk is ridiculous!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PGI User Forum Forum Index -> Licenses and Installation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brian Mendenhall

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:07 pm    Post subject: installcdk is ridiculous! Reply with quote

I find it quite preposterous that the installer wants to run /bin/date on every single machine in my cluster! I have over 2700 machines!

Now because we have to install new software on 'buildhosts' because our shared software directory is shared to the cluster READ-ONLY, the buildhost has never before now connected to any of the compute nodes, meaning I have to 'accept' new entries to my known_hosts file.

This is quite frankly stupid and should be changed. At least give the user another option, or a way to provide the necessary data in another fashion.

I don't think it is a good idea to 'assume' that the install script is run on the 'master-node', as situations like mine probably exist on larger clusters. Assuming everyone is on a small baby cluster is a good way to keep the larger cluster admins from wanting to install PGI. I know I sure don't want to deal with this again ...
Brian Mendenhall

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:34 pm    Post subject: installcdk is unusable. awesome. Reply with quote

Lovely! Now I am getting tons of errors that has resulted in me using 'control-c' to escape from the entire installation.

I guess it is time to contact support ...
jtull

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:41 pm    Post subject: installcdk not capable of installing on large clusters Reply with quote

Brian,

You are right, we do not see clusters with 2700 nodes.

If you can create a commonly mounted directory for all the nodes to
access the compilers, install on the master node as 'non-root' and
it should NOT try to test your configuration by running the '/bin/date'.

The resulting installation should work on all the nodes, since they
should be running the same linux (and therefore gcc) version.

regards,
dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PGI User Forum Forum Index -> Licenses and Installation All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: