PGI User Forum
 SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist     RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Free OpenACC Webinar

unexpected result with mcmodel=medium

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PGI User Forum Forum Index -> Debugging and Profiling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WillDan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:09 am    Post subject: unexpected result with mcmodel=medium Reply with quote

Hi,

I've got a bunch of code that compile and run well both with or without -mcmodel=medium.
However with mcmodel=medium, it gives completely false results in some cases. I don't really know where to begin to debug that... any clue I can follow?
mkcolg

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi WillDan,

Do the false results occur with the same datasets or do they only occur on datasets that need the medium memory model?

Since you're able to compile without "-mcmodel=medium", you code most likely doesn't require it's use. Can you try compiling with "-Mlarge_arrays" instead? The main difference is that "-mcmodel=medium" allows your programs total data size (things like static arrays and local variables) to be greater than 2GB. While "-Mlarge_arrays" allows allocated arrays to be larger than 2GB.

If your only getting false results on datasets that need large arrays, the first thing to check is if your index variables are integer*8. The default is integer*4.

- Mat
WillDan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

by the way the dataset I used does not require mcmodel=medium, it's just a test case but I expected the mcmodel=medium version to give an identical result. I compiled with -Mlarge_arrays but it also give a false result (not the same one though :) )
mkcolg

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi WillDan,

I'm really sure then since you shouldn't see a difference in answers with and without -mcmodel=medium. You may need to get out the debugger and try and track down where the problem is. Also, if you can put together an example, please feel free to send it to customer service at trs@pgroup.com.

- Mat
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PGI User Forum Forum Index -> Debugging and Profiling All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: