PGI User Forum
 SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist     RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Free OpenACC Webinar

WRF compiler optimisation
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PGI User Forum Forum Index -> Programming and Compiling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Craig Arthur

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:54 pm    Post subject: WRF compiler optimisation Reply with quote

Hi,

I noticed today on the Tips & Techniques page that there are plans to present optimisations for the compilation of the WRF Model. As this is the project I'm currently working on (with only limited experience with the PGI compilers), this of course perked my interest.

We currently have PGI compilers (5.1) for an AMD64 (dual) Opteron running Linux, and we plan to use the new WRF version V2.0.2.

Which version of WRF will PGI be using for the work on WRF, and will the optimisations be performed for PGI compilers 5.2 or 5.x ? How far off is this project from completion?

Thanks very much for any help that can be given. The fact that these compiler optimisations are provided is excellent.
mkcolg

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:48 am    Post subject: Posted configuration files Reply with quote

Sorry for the delay on this. WRFv2 came out late in our 5.2-1 release process and exposed a bug which wasn't fixed until release 5.2-2.

I reminded the application engineer in charge of WRF that we needed to get this done, so he sent me the configuration files which I've posted at

WRF: http://www.pgroup.com/resources/wrf/arch.pgi.wrf
WRFv2: http://www.pgroup.com/resources/wrf/arch.pgi.wrfv2

I still need to write-up the actual FAQ and go through my check-list but hopefully, I can have something more substantial posted shortly. In the mean time these config files should help.

Thanks,
Mat
Craig Arthur

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much Mat.

Being relatively new to this type of compilation work, this kind of help is greatly appreciated.

I'll let you know how every thing goes when I've compiled and run the model.
mkcolg

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 3:17 pm    Post subject: WRF Version 2 Guide Now available Reply with quote

To coincide with the release of the 5.2-4 compilers, we've just updated the Tips and Techniques section of this web site with the WRF Version 2 Guide http://www.pgroup.com/resources/isv.htm#WRF.

Hope it helps!
- Mat
Craig Arthur

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iím attempting to compile WRFV2.0.2. I can successfully compile and run OMP versions of the ideal cases (em_quarter_ss and em_b_wave). Both these ideal cases run in multi-threaded versions. I have also compiled the real case (em_real), however when trying to run with OMP_NUM_THREADS=2, the executable crashes out with a segmentation fault. There is no problem with OMP_NUM_THREADS=1. Iíve set the MPSTKZ large (512M), and Ďulimit -s unlimitedí with no success. Notably I can set the ideal cases to a domain size comparable to (and in fact larger than) that of my real domain (in terms of number of points) and the ideal cases still successfully run.

Iím running an AMD dual Opteron with Fedora Core 2 (kernel 2.6.5-1). Portland Group Compilers V5.1-6.

My configure.wrf file is below - this is the OMP option provided in the configuration file posted in the PGI WRFV2 Tips & techniques page. As the comments say, I removed the ĖMipa references in FCBASEOPTS. Leaving any ĖMipa options led to failure of compilations. I also added $(OMPCPP) to the POUND_DEF flags. Without this, the executable would only run on a single thread, even after setting OMP_NUM_THREADS=2, NCPUS=2.

www.theweather.com.au/people/carthur/wrf/configure.wrf

I have just checked the configure options in the latest WRFV2.0.3 tarball, and there isnít an OpenMP option (only single-threaded or RSL).

I donít believe it is a compiler issue, as the idealised versions compile and run ok. Iíd just like to rule it out by having a second opinion on the flags Iím using.

Many thanks,
Craig Arthur
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PGI User Forum Forum Index -> Programming and Compiling All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: