PGI User Forum
 SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist     RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

CUDA-x86.

pgprof : Message and bytes counts
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PGI User Forum Forum Index -> Debugging and Profiling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lal

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:21 am    Post subject: pgprof : Message and bytes counts Reply with quote

Hi,

I try to use the MPI profiling statistics with pgprof and I'm having no results. I remember that with the cdk 5.2 (received CD), it was ok. Since 6.0, we don't receive CDK CDs so I try the mpich_kit available on the web site.

My simple MPI_Send-Recv profiled test don't count bytes and messages.

I'm using -Mprof=mpi,func, it gives a different exec from -Mprof=func (in size)

If the mpich_kit supports mpi profiling, could you give me a example that works?

Thanks a lot,

L-A
mkcolg

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi L-A,

You do need a CDK license to use the MPI features of PGPROF with or without the MPICH Kit. I wondering if when your upgraded to 6.0 is you kept your CDK license? If you don't know which license you have, please email trs@pgroup.com with your PGI PIN number and they can help.

I did verify that the Messages and Byte counts are available when compiling with "-Mprof=mpi,func". However, you do need to select PGPROF's "View" menu's options "Message" and "Bytes" to make them visible.

Hope this helps,
Mat
lal

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:47 pm    Post subject: suggestion Reply with quote

Hi,

I finally found my problem... but it was a luck.

That's how I compile with mpi:

pgcc -Mmpi send.c ( or mpicc)

and if I want it profiled, i will add the -Mprof arguments...

pgcc -Mmpi -Mprof=func,mpi

But it seems that -Mmpi is implicit. And if I write it, it don't profile the mpi calls!!! This is a strange conflicts. It's not natural to remove argument to add the profiling... and when I use mpicc, it don't work either.

Me, I'll never foget it !! but I think you should correct the situation in future version.

Thank you,

L-A
mkcolg

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi L-A,

For clarification, do you mean that when using "-Mprof=mpi" that "-Mmpi" should be implicit, or do you mean when using "-Mmpi -Mprof" that the "-Mprof" suboption "mpi" should be implicit?

Thanks,
Mat
lal

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mat,

If my situation is 'normal'... I think that someone who wants to profile the mpi calls should only have to add the the "-Mprof=mpi,func" to the compilation line who already looks like "pgf77 -Mmpi".

The confusion came from the fact that I forgot to remove -Mmpi.

If we want to compile a profiled MPI program, it's not trivial that we have to remove de -Mmpi flags...

L-A
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PGI User Forum Forum Index -> Debugging and Profiling All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: