PGI User Forum
 SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist     RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

CUDA-x86.

pgprof: wrong(?) core counts in "system config"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PGI User Forum Forum Index -> Debugging and Profiling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TonyCurtis@UH

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:10 pm    Post subject: pgprof: wrong(?) core counts in "system config" Reply with quote

Running pgprof (various versions <= 14.2) on 48-core node (4 x 12-core AMD) OpenSUSE 11.3, pgprof tells me

9 cores per socket
    5 total cores

in the system configuration tab. Can someone explain what these values mean (the total is < per-socket count)? I was expecting 12 and 48 resp.

I see the same kind of unexpected numbers on other machines / Linux OSes.

thanks
mkcolg

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tony,

I've been trying unsuccessfully to recreate this behavior here so passed it on to engineering to see if they can. Though, one thought I had is if you were running under a virtual environment or a scheduler (like torque) where you may not have full visibility of the system?

- Mat
TonyCurtis@UH

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mat,

this is both on a compute node in a cluster allocated by SLURM (but no virtualization/cpusets etc) and on machines directly ssh'ed into. Screenshot example:
http://www.cs.uh.edu/~tonyc/pgprof.png
CentOS 5.10, 16 core (2 socket) machine, direct ssh login, trivial omp hello world example.

Update:

Also verified on a system where I am just a regular user and didn't install anything (6 core * 2 socket = 12 core node reports: cores per socket = 4, total cores = 3).

Doesn't appear to be anything to do with execstack message on libjpgprof64.so.

Should note this is for data collected by pgcollect. Using -Mprof gave me the right core/socket count. (Reporting on behalf of someone, so don't have 100% of the info immediately to hand.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PGI User Forum Forum Index -> Debugging and Profiling All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: