PGI User Forum
 SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist     RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

CUDA-x86.

Incomplete/Inconsistent/Out-of-date Documentation
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PGI User Forum Forum Index -> Accelerator Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
frnkyl004

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:00 am    Post subject: Incomplete/Inconsistent/Out-of-date Documentation Reply with quote

Hi PGI,

Is there any particular reason why the compiler documentation is incomplete/inconsistent?

Inconsistent: Release notes, CUDA FORTRAN Programming Guide and Reference and
Code:
pgf90 -help -flag
have some conflicting information. Which is the best to use/most up-to-date?

Incomplete: I can't seem to find any documentation about the use of
Code:
pgf90 -Mcuda=cuda5.5,llvm
yet it seems to work. Is it not documented because it shouldn't be used yet?

Out-of-date: I don't think the PGI Accelerator Compilers with OpenACC Getting Started Guide has been updated since PGI 13.2?

Cheers,
Kyle
mkcolg

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kyle,

It looks like an oversight. They got in for the OpenACC side but looks to have missed documenting it for CUDA Fortran. I added an issue and sent it on to our documentation folks. Note that -Mcuda=llvm is implied when "-g" is used, since LLVM is required for debugging on the device.

I'll ask about the getting started guide as well. This document doesn't get updated with every release but it's probably time for a refresh.

Thanks,
Mat
frnkyl004

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Mat,

Thanks for the "-g" ≡ "-Mcuda=llvm" tip. An update to the Getting Started Guide would be great.

Cheers,
Kyle
frnkyl004

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Mat,

I was just browsing the PGI 14.1 directory structure and it looks like the documentation there (/opt/pgi/linux86-64/2014/doc/) is different to (and more up-to-date than) that on the website. The Getting Started Guide has a 2014 version in the doc directory. It would still be really nice if the man pages, "pgf90 -help -flag" and the pdf documentation was consistent.

Cheers,
Kyle
frnkyl004

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 6:07 am    Post subject: -Mpfo Reply with quote

Hi All,

The pgf90, pgcc, etc. man pages have a mistake in them for the -Mpfo flag. It says that dir=directory should be used to specify the directory containing the pgfi.out profile feedback information file, but it should be dir:directory (colon and not equals).
Code:
pgf90 -Mpfo -help
shows it as it should be (with a colon) dir:<dir>. pgi14ref.pdf doesn't indicate that the directory can be specified at all.

Cheers,
Kyle
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PGI User Forum Forum Index -> Accelerator Programming All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: