PGI User Forum
 SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist     RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Free OpenACC Webinar

quick_GeForce680_x64.exe is not a valid win32 application.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PGI User Forum Forum Index -> Accelerator Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dolf

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:32 pm    Post subject: RE: Reply with quote

Hi Mat,

Latest update: After copying and sending the whole working folder to the company, they were able to run the code. Thanks for the reply.

Now, there is a problem if we run multiple cases, it gives the error: Quick5_GeForce680_x64.exe has stopped working.
it seems like the code runs for the first time just fine. When you run it again, for the same input files, it exits, why this is happening you think?
Also, I have noticed the size of the .exe file get biger after the first run. Is the memory got filled (GPU Ram)? do I have to do garbage cleaning in the code to make it free memory before ending? last time I asked if cuda fortran will clear all memory before exit, you said it would do it automatically. I am just trying to pin point the problem.

Regards,
Dolf
mkcolg

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dolf,

Quote:
Latest update: After copying and sending the whole working folder to the company, they were able to run the code. Thanks for the reply.
Ok, so you most likely was missing a dependent file from your project.

Quote:
When you run it again, for the same input files, it exits, why this is happening you think?
The only thing I can think of off hand is if you were trying to open a file with the "new" status and file already exists (from the first). Try running the executable from the command line and see if there are additional error messages.

Quote:
Also, I have noticed the size of the .exe file get biger after the first run. Is the memory got filled (GPU Ram)?
What do you mean by size? The size in bytes of the exe itself? The size of the memory used on the host?

Quote:
last time I asked if cuda fortran will clear all memory before exit, you said it would do it automatically
Yes, all memory is implicit free'd after an exe exits (this is true for all programs, not just CUDA Fortran).

- Mat
Dolf

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: RE: Reply with quote

Quote:
What do you mean by size? The size in bytes of the exe itself? The size of the memory used on the host?
Yes, the size in kilobytes of the executable file gets bigger if you run it the second time.
I just ran cases using input files, sometimes the code gives exact results. Other times it gives NaN in the middle of the calculation for one of the real numbers (which been calculated using GPU kernels). Is there a reason for why it give NaN (which means infinite number)?

regards,
Dolf
Dolf

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: Reply with quote

Dolf wrote:
Quote:
Yes, the size in kilobytes of the executable file gets bigger if you run it the second time.
I just ran cases using input files, sometimes the code gives exact results. Other times it gives NaN in the middle of the calculation for one of the real numbers (which been calculated using GPU kernels). Is there a reason for why it give NaN (which means infinite number)?
Also, it turns out that if I run two simulations at the same time, the second one will exit, is it possible to run two codes using same GPU simultaneously? or the GPU will be busy? how can I make the codes share GPU resources just like codes running on CPU?
I also tried running the code from command prompt to capture the error. it does not say much in the prompt. just pop the error message: Quick5_GeForce680_x64.exe has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.
you have two options: Debug - Close program
I clicked on Debug, new instance of VS 2010 opened, and an Unhalted exception at 0x000000014001b9fb in Quick5_Geforce680_x64.exe:
0xC0000005: Access violation writing location 0x0000000141941000.
Also, I can see "Call Stack" window, the code stopped at adpt_grid() subroutine, I don't know why.
then, in the later line in same "call stack", there is message "frames below maybe incorrect and/or missing, no symbols loaded for cudart64_50_35.dll
Quick5_GeForce680_x64.exe!adaptnonnested_() subroutine.

I am clueless completely!
regards,
Dolf
mkcolg

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

This doesn't make sense to me. The physical size of the binary image on the disk shouldn't change. I can think of theoretical cases where this would happen (self compiling code, the binary being overwritten) but these are unlikely.

If you're talking the image size once loaded, then this could be the DLL's that are being loaded.

Quote:
This indicates to me that you have a UMR (uninitialized memory read) or other memory issue with your code. There's nice utility call Valgrind that can help analyze these types of errors, but it's only on Linux. Otherwise, you need to use the debugger to try and isolate where the NaN's start occurring and see if you can figure out why it's happening.

Quote:
Also, it turns out that if I run two simulations at the same time, the second one will exit, is it possible to run two codes using same GPU simultaneously? or the GPU will be busy? how can I make the codes share GPU resources just like codes running on CPU?
This will depend upon the type of device you have. If you have a compute capable (CC) 3.x device, then, yes, you can have multiple host context attached to a single device. For CC2.x and CC1.x devices, it may sometimes "work" but it's not support and each host process should have it's own GPU.

Quote:
I also tried running the code from command prompt to capture the error. it does not say much in the prompt. just pop the error message: Quick5_GeForce680_x64.exe has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.
you have two options: Debug - Close program
I clicked on Debug, new instance of VS 2010 opened, and an Unhalted exception at 0x000000014001b9fb in Quick5_Geforce680_x64.exe:
0xC0000005: Access violation writing location 0x0000000141941000.
Also, I can see "Call Stack" window, the code stopped at adpt_grid() subroutine, I don't know why.
then, in the later line in same "call stack", there is message "frames below maybe incorrect and/or missing, no symbols loaded for cudart64_50_35.dll
Quick5_GeForce680_x64.exe!adaptnonnested_() subroutine.
It looks like it's seg faulting. Can you try running the code in the debugger? It may be the same cause as the NaN where you have un-initialized memory.

- Mat
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PGI User Forum Forum Index -> Accelerator Programming All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: