PGI User Forum
 SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist     RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

CUDA-x86.

How to get pgf90 5.2 to recognise *.f95 source files
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PGI User Forum Forum Index -> Programming and Compiling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paulv

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:27 pm    Post subject: How to get pgf90 5.2 to recognise *.f95 source files Reply with quote

Hello,

I have a large number of Fortran-95 source files with the suffix .f95.

When I try to compile these files with the pgf90 v5.2 compiler (an f95 compiler), it doesn't like the .f95 suffix. Is there a switch to allow the .f95 suffix to be understood by pgf90? (e.g. IBM xlf95 has a -qsuffix switch). Converting the filename suffixes to .f90 is not an option.

cheers,

paulv

p.s. FWIW, the Lahey v6.2 f95 compiler understands both .f90 and .f95 suffixes with no switches.
mwolfe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 2:46 pm    Post subject: .f95? Reply with quote

This is the first I've seen anyone using .f95 suffix.
There is a semantic difference between .f and .f90, for instance; .f90 implies free-format source, .f implies fix-format source, but there's no particular semantic difference between .f90 and .f95, is there?

There is no simple way to make pgf90 recognize .f95 at this time, but it'll go on the list of enhancements.
mkcolg

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 3:55 pm    Post subject: Semantic difference to .f90? Reply with quote

Hi Paul,

In your opinion, given a F95 source file with the ".f95" suffix, would this be semantically equivlent to same F95 source file with a ".f90" suffix? In other words, would the compiler need to presume anything different? Or is ".f95" a convenient way for a person to differentiate his/her F95 files from the F90?

Thanks,
Mat
paulv

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 4:17 pm    Post subject: .f95 implies code with f95 features Reply with quote

Hello,

The source code I have with the .f95 suffix contains F95 language features. E.g. PURE and/or ELEMENTAL procedures, MINLOC/MAXLOC using the DIM argument, initialisation of derived type components in the derived type specification (especially pointers using the NULL() intrinsic) .. etc.

Code containing these features won't compile with an f90-only compiler (e.g. pre v5.2). And the suffix is an easy visual cue to distinguish between f90-only and f95 source files. The same issue will arise when Fortran2003(4?) compilers start appearing, no?

But if pgf90 can't recognise the source files easily, I guess I'll have to start renaming. Crikey.

cheers,

paulv

p.s.
mkcolg

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 7:39 am    Post subject: ".f95" suffix Reply with quote

Paul,

We'll do a bit more research just to make sure we don't miss something, but adding recognition of the ".f95" should be straight forward. Although we'll miss the upcoming 5.2-2 release, we should be able to add it in the near future. Thanks for the suggestion and sorry we didn't realize this would be a benefit when we added F95.

-Mat
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PGI User Forum Forum Index -> Programming and Compiling All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: