PGI User Forum
 SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist     RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

CUDA-x86.

OpenACC debugger

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PGI User Forum Forum Index -> Accelerator Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Minh

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 3:48 am    Post subject: OpenACC debugger Reply with quote

Hello,

I use pgc++ 13.1 to compile OpenACC program. It is quite difficult for me to understand the parallel program deeply without a debugg tool. In CUDA, I could freely jump from one thread to another to investigate the problem. I have tried with PGI_ACC_NOTIFY or nvprof but I think this is not enough. I heard CRAY supports debugging their OpenACC program with TotalView.

So, does the Portland group have plan to write a debug tool soon? And why this feature is missing from pgi compiler?

Thank you,
Regards,
Minh
mkcolg

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Minh,

Quote:
So, does the Portland group have plan to write a debug tool soon?
Yes, but not in the near future.

Quote:
And why this feature is missing from pgi compiler?
Right now we perform a source to source translation of your accelerator compute region into very low level highly optimized CUDA C. (you can see the generated code via the flag -ta=nvidia,keepgpu). If we enabled debugging, you would be debugging this optimized CUDA C, not your code. There isn't a way to correlate this CUDA C back to your original source and have it make sense. It would be akin to debugging assembly code on the CPU.

We are in the process of redeveloping the back end code generation so we no longer perform this source to source translation. Once this occurs, we will be able to add DWARF information into the generated instructions and allow on device debugging. I don't have announced time-line for you, other than this is in active development.

- Mat
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PGI User Forum Forum Index -> Accelerator Programming All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: