PGI User Forum
 SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist     RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Free OpenACC Webinar

Function vectorizing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PGI User Forum Forum Index -> Accelerator Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
THX 1138

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:04 pm    Post subject: Function vectorizing Reply with quote

In my program,I am trying to vectorize a function that consumes a great deal of the program's execution time. I believe that I have done this on the function itself which I will call Function A.

However, another function is called inside of Function A's vectorized code area. This Function B will be inlined during the compile stage. However, it is raw c source code, not any vectorized code at all. Will this Function B have to be vectorized or not?

If Function B must be vectorized how does one do it? Since Function A already has a vectorized section that will now contain an unvectorized section,Function B, and only part of Function B can be vectorized in the best circumstances. Is it acceptable to have a large section of unvectorized code in a vectorized code section?

This is confusing.

Any help appreciated.

THX 1138
PaulPa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI,

is your question related to OpenACC or to vectorization in general? OpenACC currently does not support function calls within a accelerator region (except if it can be inlined).

Generally it is a good idea to write the code in a way such that the compiler can auto-vectorize the code for you. Hence, it strongly depends on the code of function B if it can be vectorized or not.

Moreover, it is not a good idea to have non-vectorized sections within vectorized sections because this would require the CPU to move the registers from the vector-registers (i.e. ymm (looking at Intel's AVX)) to the non-vector-registers.

Can you show small code snippets such that we can help you to vectorize your code.

Did you have a look at the assembly code to verify that the code has been vectorized?

Hope this helps.
Best,
Paul
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PGI User Forum Forum Index -> Accelerator Programming All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: