PGI User Forum
 SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist     RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

CUDA-x86.

output redirection & PGI compilers
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PGI User Forum Forum Index -> Programming and Compiling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pgf90User

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:13 am    Post subject: output redirection & PGI compilers Reply with quote

Hello,

I have exactly the same problem as Denis. Has a solution been found in the meantime?

In my case the redirected output is only written in the log file after the code is done.

My output statement is simply write(*,...). I use pgf90. I have Gentoo linux and it's an intel. The shell is tcsh. I find the solution suggested by Ohio State, as recommended by Mat, too awkward for this problem. Isn't there just a flag I can set when compiling, which would resolve this problem?

Just as in Denis' case, the redirection works fine with a different compiler. Also, if I use pgf90 and I don't redirect the output it is nicely written on the screen while the code is running.

I hope someone could help. I would be grateful. Many thanks in advance.

Jurgen
mkcolg

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jurgen,

It's most likely an issue with the way stdio works on Linux. When stdio writes to a "tty" it uses line buffering. For pipes and redirection, it uses block buffering. One solution is to explicitly set line buffering via the 3F runtime routine "setbuf3f".
Code:

setvbuf3f(lu,type,size)
    lu is the logical unit
    type is 0 - full buffering, 1 - line buffering, 2 - no buffering
    size is the size of the new buffer

For the logical unit, use 6 for standard out (stdout). So, for line
buffering you may use the following call at the beginning of your program:

Code:
call setvbuf3f(6,1,180)

Note that the size doesn't actually set the buffer size as the Linux man pages indicate, but it does correctly set the buffering type.

Hope this helps,
Mat
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PGI User Forum Forum Index -> Programming and Compiling All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: