PGI User Forum
 SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist     RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Free OpenACC Webinar

the parallelization of two simple loops

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PGI User Forum Forum Index -> Accelerator Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brush

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:22 pm    Post subject: the parallelization of two simple loops Reply with quote

I'm playing around with two different simple loops:

Code:

c$acc region
      do i=0,32
         do j=0,32
            den(i,j)=den(i,j)+1
         enddo
      enddo
c$acc end region

and

Code:

c$acc region
      do i=0,32
         do j=0,32
            do k=0,1024
               den(i,j)=den(i,j)+1
            enddo
         enddo
      enddo
c$acc end region

The first parallelizes, the second, which has an additional outer loop, doesn't:
18, Complex loop carried dependence of 'den' prevents parallelization
Loop carried dependence of 'den' prevents parallelization
Loop carried backward dependence of 'den' prevents vectorization

No matter the order the compiler complains of the loop over k. I just want to make sure I understand this correctly:

Each thread in the first case writes to a unique element of den(i,j), so we are ok. In the second situation, each thread over the k loop (if we forced it to parallelize) will be writing to the same den(i,j), thus introducing the problem of race conditions.

So how do you fix the problem? Either A) add a k component to den, and then perform a reduction back to 2d or B) privatize den and then somehow sum all the private arrays at the end.

I'm not sure if B is possible or how to do it but I know A works because Mat showed me in another thread. But what if I don't want to deal with a large sparse array necesary in A? Is there a way to avoid this? B seems like it would be more efficient if possible.

Thanks,
Ben
mkcolg

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ben,

Quote:
Each thread in the first case writes to a unique element of den(i,j), so we are ok. In the second situation, each thread over the k loop (if we forced it to parallelize) will be writing to the same den(i,j), thus introducing the problem of race conditions.
Correct. The "i" and "j" loops should still accelerate but if you accelerated the "k" loop you'd end up with a race condition.

Quote:
So how do you fix the problem? Either A) add a k component to den, and then perform a reduction back to 2d or B) privatize den and then somehow sum all the private arrays at the end.
These are essentially the same thing. In A you've manually privatized it while in B, you'd let compiler do it for you. In either case, you'd still be using up a lot of memory.

One thing you can try is to use OpenACC with a loop vector reduction directive on the inner loop and collapse the outer two loops into a 2-D gang. The caveat is that there is overhead in performing a parallel reduction so is only beneficial if the inner loop is a lot larger than the outer loops (which it is here) and there's enough work in the inner loop to offset the overhead (which there isn't here). Also note that reductions are only allowed on scalars, so you'd need to initialize a temp variable to den(i,j), perform the scalar reduction, then copy the new value back to den(i,j).

Something like:
Code:
c$acc parallel loop collapse(2) gang
      do i=0,32
         do j=0,32
            tmp = den(i,j)
c$acc loop vector reduction(+:tmp)
            do k=0,1024
               tmp=tmp+1
            enddo
            den(i,j) = tmp
         enddo
      enddo

Hope this helps,
Mat
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PGI User Forum Forum Index -> Accelerator Programming All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: