PGI User Forum
 SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist     RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

CUDA-x86.

poor pgi openmp performance??
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PGI User Forum Forum Index -> Programming and Compiling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
toepfer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend starting with the following compilation flags:

-mp -fast -Mipa=fast,inline

There are a number of things that can effect the runtime performance.

*) Thread to processor core binding. Depending on what type of system you are running
on, and the number of OpenMP threads, the placement of threads on cores can make
a significant difference. This binding can be controlled using the PGI environment
variables, MP_BIND and MP_BLIST.

*) Is the system you are running on a "NUMA" system? Does it have multiple processor
sockets? If so, then you also have to consider the NUMA effect.

As Mat had suggested, without a detailed performance analysis, its very difficult to know exactly what is the cause.
steve.xu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks toepfer.
Our system is NUMA. Each node contains 2 processor sockets and each socket contains a Xeon 5670.

I just complie our CFD code with both Intel and PGI compilers, without thread to processor core binding for each compiler.
toepfer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you run on one of these nodes, how many MPI processes do you run with? Do you set the OpenMP environment variable OMP_NUM_THREADS?
steve.xu

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just use one MPI process with 12 OpenMP threads. I use -O2 flag for pgi and -O3 flag for Intel. Surely i set OMP_NUM_THREADS to 12 for both intel and pgi. And i finally find intel OpenMP is almost 2 times faster than pgi with 12 threads. For sequential code, i can only see 30%-50% performance gap between intel and pgi as regard to our code.
toepfer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using just the -O2 flag for PGI does not enable automatic vectorization, whereas using the -O3 flag for the Intel compiler does. A better flag to use for PGI instead of -O2 is -fast. This will enable automatic vectorization as well as other optimizations and more closely matches that of Intel's -O3 flag.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PGI User Forum Forum Index -> Programming and Compiling All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: