PGI User Forum
 SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist     RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Free OpenACC Webinar

Only one CPU is busy
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PGI User Forum Forum Index -> Programming and Compiling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
easydavid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:44 am    Post subject: Only one CPU is busy Reply with quote

I use PVF to calculate a program,but find only one CPU is busy.
I want to know:how to use all CPUs,or PVF does not support that?
Eager for answers.
mkcolg

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi easydavid,

PVF supports various parallel models for the CPU, OpenMP, MPI, and auto-parallelization (-Mconcur) though each requires user intervention. Which parallel model are you using?

- Mat
easydavid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:18 pm    Post subject: auto-parallelization Reply with quote

mkcolg wrote:
Hi easydavid,

PVF supports various parallel models for the CPU, OpenMP, MPI, and auto-parallelization (-Mconcur) though each requires user intervention. Which parallel model are you using?

- Mat

Thank you for your answer.
I use auto-parallelization.
My computer CPU is xeon with 12 cores.
I use Visual Studio 2010 and PGI Visual Fortran 2010.
mkcolg

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi easydavid,

By default, -Mconcur compiled code will only use a single thread. For multiple threads, you need to set in the shell's environment variable "OMP_NUM_THREADS" to the number of threads to use.

Alternatively, you could use the flag '-Mconcur=allcores" to change the default to use all available cores.

Note, that I'm assuming the compiler was able to find opportunities for parallelization. Please review the compiler feedback messages from the "-Minfo" flag for information about where parallel sections were found.

Hope this helps,
Mat
easydavid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:36 pm    Post subject: How to set Reply with quote

mkcolg wrote:
Hi easydavid,

By default, -Mconcur compiled code will only use a single thread. For multiple threads, you need to set in the shell's environment variable "OMP_NUM_THREADS" to the number of threads to use.

Alternatively, you could use the flag '-Mconcur=allcores" to change the default to use all available cores.

Note, that I'm assuming the compiler was able to find opportunities for parallelization. Please review the compiler feedback messages from the "-Minfo" flag for information about where parallel sections were found.

Hope this helps,
Mat

Thank you.
But may I konw how to
mkcolg wrote:
set in the shell's environment variable "OMP_NUM_THREADS"

or
mkcolg wrote:
use the flag '-Mconcur=allcores" to change the default to use all available cores.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PGI User Forum Forum Index -> Programming and Compiling All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: