PGI User Forum
 SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist     RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

CUDA-x86.

Output of very small numbers with e, en format is goofed up

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PGI User Forum Forum Index -> Programming and Compiling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tuna

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:12 pm    Post subject: Output of very small numbers with e, en format is goofed up Reply with quote

Folks,

The following code (compiled with either pgf90 or pgf77)
shows the problem I've encountered:

Code:

real*8 wow
      wow = 1d-120
      write(*,*) wow
      write(*,900) wow
  900 format(1x,e15.7)
      end

The output is
Quote:

1.0000000000000007E-120
0.1000000-119

Note that the format using 'e15.7' (the second number output) is missing the 'E'. This creates problems for me, and I don't think it's the correct behaviour. Am I out to lunch?
mkcolg

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tuna,

The E edit descriptor by default is limited to 3 digits plus a sign (4 characters in total). This limit causes the truncation of exponent field and the removal of the 'E' when the exponent reaches 100. To have the 'E' printed, you need to use the second form of the E descriptor, 'Ew.dEe' where you specify the number of exponent digits to print. Changing your format to 'e15.7e3' will allow enough room for the 'E' to print.

- Mat
Tuna

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks much, that did the trick. I have not come upon the this form of the e format descriptor, but this seems to work with g, e, and en. My fortran 90 book has only listing of the 2nd e as a possiblility, but no description as to what it actually does.

This fixes the code for me. Thanks again
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PGI User Forum Forum Index -> Programming and Compiling All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: