PGI User Forum
 SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist     RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

CUDA-x86.

difference between cuda fortran & PGI accelerator
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PGI User Forum Forum Index -> Programming and Compiling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kuldeep gupta

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:43 am    Post subject: difference between cuda fortran & PGI accelerator Reply with quote

i am using PGI compiler

i am confused that when i should use "CUDA FORTRAN" programming for parallelization & when i should use "PGI accelerator directives" for parallelization
mkcolg

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on your project. The PGI Accelerator model is more portable and easier to use while CUDA Fortran gives you more explicit control.

What are goals of your project?

- Mat
kuldeep gupta

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my program is of newton-raphson method for solving non linear equations using iterations.

it contains 1 array which has different values, for each value i want to run my code in parallel

ex. array=[2.2 3.6 4.5 8.4 .....]

code takes value from it & use it in solution
so for each value i will get different answer.

so i want parallelization like; i will run my solution for each value in parallel.
& i want all answer(for each different value) in a array.
mkcolg

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's usually easier to start with the PGI Accelerator model. Directives are easier to use, give you portability with your original host code, and can give you good performance.

However, if your goal here is to better understand how an NVIDIA GPU works, then CUDA Fortran might be the better route. CUDA forces you to think parallel and give you more explicit access to the device.

- Mat
kuldeep gupta

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:22 pm    Post subject: difference between cuda fortran & PGI accelerator Reply with quote

ok..so in one of my source code i am using both "PGI acclerator directives" & "CUDA FORTRAN" code.but it is showing error

error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _MAIN referenced in function _MAIN_

is it possible to use both in a same project.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PGI User Forum Forum Index -> Programming and Compiling All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: