PGI User Forum
 SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist     RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

CUDA-x86.

Optimization disablement using pragmas.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PGI User Forum Forum Index -> Accelerator Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alfvenwave

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:14 am    Post subject: H have managed to identify the source that is failing with o Reply with quote

By disabling my kernel subroutine's optimization, but leaving optimization on on all device level subroutines/functions, I can now make my code run with most things optimized and no crash on the GTX480 and GTX580 - the code doesn't crash at all on a C1060. By compariing the difference between the two compilations, there is only one small part of the optimization that appears to be causing the crash. This is the diff of the two compilations with optimization vs. without ( i.e. diff <with> <without>):

Code:
304c304
'<' ptxas info    : Used 124 registers, 944+0 bytes lmem, 56+16 bytes smem, 560 bytes cmem[0], 224 bytes cmem[1], 8 bytes cmem[14]
---
'>' ptxas info    : Used 124 registers, 880+0 bytes lmem, 56+16 bytes smem, 560 bytes cmem[0], 248 bytes cmem[1], 8 bytes cmem[14]
323c323
'<'     1264 bytes stack frame, 4148 bytes spill stores, 3344 bytes spill loads
---
 '>' 1168 bytes stack frame, 3736 bytes spill stores, 2988 bytes spill loads

Is it obvious from this what is causing the GTX480 and GTX580 to fail but the C1060 to succeed - is the optimization causing the code to use too many registers or something? The kernel "with" optimization is using 64 bytes more lmem, 24 bytes less cmem, 96 more stack frame, 412 more bytes spill stores and 356 bytes more spill loads. There is no further diagnostic information to tell me what exactly is being optimized.

Rob.

Rob.
mkcolg

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rob,

Unfortunately, this doesn't tell us much. We'll need the code in order to figure out what's wrong.

Note that I'll be on vacation till September 6th, so if you can send in a report to PGI Customer Service (trs@pgroup.com), I would appreciate it.

- Mat
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PGI User Forum Forum Index -> Accelerator Programming All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: