PGI User Forum
 SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist     RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

CUDA-x86.

undefined references & etc
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PGI User Forum Forum Index -> Programming and Compiling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
acorreia

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:58 pm    Post subject: undefined references & etc Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm a newbie trying to compile a fairly complicated code under Fedora Core 3 using pgi 6.0-2 set of compilers. Part of the code was compiled with gcc, and part with pgf90. At first all compiling went smoothly, but then the linking with pgf90 did not pass:

Code:

/usr/pgi/linux86/6.0/bin/pgf90  -g77libs <many object files> -L/MODIS/Mapi/STORE/shared_lib/mapi/mapi2.3.4/lib -lmapi -L/MODIS/TOOLKIT/lib/linux -lPGSTK -lm -L/MODIS/TOOLKIT/hdfeos/lib/linux -lhdfeos -L/MODIS/TOOLKIT/hdf5/linux/hdf5-1.6.4/lib -lhdf5shared  -L/MODIS/TOOLKIT/hdf/linux/HDF4.2r1/lib -lmfhdf -ldf -ljpeg -lz -o MOD_PR04_05.exe -v

/usr/bin/ld /usr/lib/crt1.o /usr/lib/crti.o /usr/lib/gcc/i386-redhat-linux/3.4.3/crtbegin.o /usr/pgi/linux86/6.0/lib/f90main.o -m elf_i386 -dynamic-linker /lib/ld-linux.so.2 <many object files> -L/MODIS/Mapi/STORE/shared_lib/mapi/mapi2.3.4/lib -L/MODIS/TOOLKIT/lib/linux -L/MODIS/TOOLKIT/hdfeos/lib/linux -L/MODIS/TOOLKIT/hdf5/linux/hdf5-1.6.4/lib -L/MODIS/TOOLKIT/hdf/linux/HDF4.2r1/lib -L/usr/pgi/linux86/6.0/lib -L/usr/lib -L/usr/lib/gcc/i386-redhat-linux/3.4.3 -L/usr/lib/gcc/i386-redhat-linux/3.4.3 -rpath /usr/pgi/linux86/6.0/lib -lmapi -lPGSTK -lm -lhdfeos -lhdf5shared -lmfhdf -ldf -ljpeg -lz -lpgf90 -lpgf90_rpm1 -lpgf902 -lpgf90rtl -lpgftnrtl -lg2c -lc -lnspgc -lpgc -lm -lgcc -lc -lgcc /usr/lib/gcc/i386-redhat-linux/3.4.3/crtend.o /usr/lib/crtn.o

/usr/pgi/linux86/6.0/lib/f90main.o(.text+0x77): In function `main':
: undefined reference to `MAIN_'
MOD_PR04_PR05_V2.o(.text+0x1b3): In function `MAIN__':
: undefined reference to `pgs_pc_getreference__'
MOD_PR04_PR05_V2.o(.text+0x21b): In function `MAIN__':
: undefined reference to `pgs_pc_getreference__'
MOD_PR04_PR05_V2.o(.text+0x909): In function `MAIN__':
: undefined reference to `pgs_met_getpcattr_s__'

<many other undefined references>

I did manage to get rid of the several undefined references in the end. They were the consequence of a second underscore added by gcc during compiling, so I recompiled the object files with a -fno-second-underscore flag. Then only the first undefined reference remained:
Code:
/usr/pgi/linux86/6.0/lib/f90main.o(.text+0x77): In function `main':
: undefined reference to `MAIN_'

Searching this forum, I believe I found a solution to this issue by adding -Mnomain just after -g77libs in the linking line. But then I get another error:
Code:
/usr/lib/crt1.o(.text+0x18): In function `_start':
: undefined reference to `main'
pgf90-Fatal-linker completed with exit code 1

I have some questions, maybe a little too simplistic for this forum, but anyway:

1) is it ok to have these errors pointing only to "system" files? I mean, after I solved the issue with the files in the code I am compiling, I find a bit odd to have the compiler complaining about the f90main.o and crt1.o files...

2) is it ok to solve the "undefined reference to `MAIN_'" issue by using that -Mnomain flag? Isn't it going to cause other problems ahead like the problem in (3)?

3) any ideas on how to solve the last "undefined reference to `main' in file crt1.o?

Any inputs on these issues would be really appreciated.
Thanks,
Alex
mkcolg

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alex,

You've most likely compiled your main Fortran program with gcc which in turn uses g77. g77 will use two underscores for MAIN even with the "-fno-second-underscore" option.

Example:
Code:
%g77 -c hello.f -fno-second-underscore
% nm hello.o
                 U do_lio
                 U e_wsle
0000000000000000 d __g77_cilist_0.0
0000000000000000 T MAIN__
                 U s_stop
                 U s_wsle

Since pgf90 only expects one underscore, this the is reason your getting the undefined reference to "MAIN_". Compiling the main fortran program as well as your other fortran code with pgf90 (or pgcc) instead of gcc should remove this error as well as give you a performance boost.

The "-Mnomain" flag is used when your using a C main program but linking with pgf90/pgf77.

Hope this helps,

Mat

Last edited by mkcolg on Wed Jun 15, 2005 12:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
acorreia

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Matt,

Tanks for the answer. I recompiled everything using only pgcc and pgf90 with flags -fast and -tp=p7 and I got no severe errors. The linking went ok, using only the -g77libs flag. However, when I try to execute the code, I get this error message:

Code:
$ ./MOD_PR04_05.exe
./MOD_PR04_05.exe: error while loading shared libraries: /usr/pgi/linux86/6.0/lib/libpgc.so: cannot restore segment prot after reloc: Permission denied

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Alex
mkcolg

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alex,

I have not seen this error before but in searching the web for "cannot restore segment prot after reloc", it appears that this is a permissions error generated by SELinux. Unfortunately, I don't know enough about security enhanced linux to tell you how to get it to allow libpgc.so to run. You might be able to find more information at the Fedora Core 3 SELinux FAQ Page.

What happens if you link with "-Bstatic"? This will tell the linker to use the static pgc library instead of the dynamic library.

- Mat
acorreia

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Matt,

I linked with -Bstatic and apparently now the code seems to run ok.
Thank you for your support!

Alex
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PGI User Forum Forum Index -> Programming and Compiling All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: