PGI User Forum
 SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist     RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Free OpenACC Webinar

Memory Requirements
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PGI User Forum Forum Index -> Programming and Compiling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andyh

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mat,

I was including stdlib.h and math.h but explicitly placed malloc.h in the code and it still behaved the same way.

I am using calloc heavily and dynamic memory.

One clue however is that I am also using free() because there is a bunch of memory bound in transient dynamic arrays. Could the problem be that free() is not freeing the memory in the case of the pgcc compiled code?

Andy
mkcolg

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy,

The reason for adding the malloc header file is that the default prototype for malloc is '(void *) malloc (int)' but what you need is '(void *) malloc(long)' if your requesting more than 2Gb.

Quote:
One clue however is that I am also using free() because there is a bunch of memory bound in transient dynamic arrays. Could the problem be that free() is not freeing the memory in the case of the pgcc compiled code?

Doubtful. Both gcc and pgcc should be using the exact same libc system calls. The OS might not be reclaiming the memory, but it should be marked as 'free'.

Some possibilities are: The pgcc version is making more calls to calloc, pgcc is missing the calls to free, or gcc is not making enough calls calloc. Without the code however, its very difficult to make a firm diagnosis. Can you determine how much memory your program actually requests?

- Mat
andyh

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mea Culpa,

I had a configure issue. include malloc seems to be doing the trick and memory requirements are the same between codes now.

Thanks so much for your help!

Andy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PGI User Forum Forum Index -> Programming and Compiling All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: