PGI User Forum
 SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist     RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Free OpenACC Webinar

PGI CUDA FORTRAN performance issue

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PGI User Forum Forum Index -> Accelerator Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mbpl

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 6:14 am    Post subject: PGI CUDA FORTRAN performance issue Reply with quote

Hello,

When I use pgi 10.3 to compile my cuda fortran programs I got a slow down of about 2.5 comparatively to a compilation with the version 10.2
Did someone else have the same issue ?

Matt
mkcolg

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Matt,

Does your program perform many divides? In 10.2 we were getting reports of wrong answers when using divides. The default hardware divide is simply not precise enough for many customer. Hence, in 10.3 we started using a more precise divide. Unfortunately, this precise divide is much slower then the default and began causing slow-downs. In 10.4, we updated the '-Mcuda=fastmath' flag to revert back to the less precise but faster divide.

If you do use many divides, then I would recommend upgrading to 10.4 (or 10.5 in a day or two) and use the "-Mcuda=fastmath" flag.

If you don't use many divides, please send a report to PGI Customer Service (trs@pgroup.com) including a reproducing example, since we will need to investigate the problem.

Thanks,
Mat
mbpl

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mat,

Thanks for your answer, it has been driving me nuts.
About one tenth of my floating point operations are divisions (according to the ptx). I did not remark accuracy problem using the version 10.2.
So I will keep going with the 10.2 until the admin install the newest versions.

Matt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PGI User Forum Forum Index -> Accelerator Programming All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: