PGI User Forum
 SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist     RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Free OpenACC Webinar

LOGICALs and GPUs
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PGI User Forum Forum Index -> Accelerator Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheMatt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:03 am    Post subject: LOGICALs and GPUs Reply with quote

This is an odd question, but one I seem to encounter with accelerators. Namely, I sometimes get an error like (I don't have an exact wording on hand) "Accelerator restriction: invalid data type: do_aerosol" when I am compiling an accelerated region. In each case, this invalid data is a LOGICAL being used inside the loop I'm accelerating a la:
Code:
do i=1,m
 if(do_aerosol) then
  xx = a(i,k1)*b(i,k1)
 endif
 tranu(i,k1) = tranu(i,k1)+xx
enddo
or something like that. (This is not real code, just a basic type of what I see.) The line given by the compiler is centered on that if-statement.

I've found that if this is triggered, I can jury-rig around it by instead of using a LOGICAL, I define an integer, i_do_aerosol, that is 1 if do_aerosol is .TRUE. and 0 if .FALSE. inside the F77 code.

Is there a known restriction against using/sending LOGICALs with/to GPUs? Or, should I elaborate with real code?
mkcolg

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Matt,

I sent a note to Michael Wolfe about the status of Logicals. He's traveling so it may a day of two before I hear back.

- Mat
WmBruce

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am currently using 10.8 and am having the same issue. All logicals inside accelerated regions gave the same error. Is there a fix on this now aside from changing all the variables into integers?
mkcolg

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi WmBruce,

I must apologize since I drop the ball on this one and forgot to follow-up with Michael.

It does appear to be a bug since logical should be supported. I have submitted TPR#17184 to track this issue and hopefully we can get if fixed shortly.

- Mat
xray

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
the problem is not fixed in version 10.9. Do you have any idea when a fixed version will be available?
Sandra
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PGI User Forum Forum Index -> Accelerator Programming All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: