PGI User Forum
 SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist     RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

CUDA-x86.

linker warnings after using k8-64 flag

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PGI User Forum Forum Index -> Programming and Compiling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jurij

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 5:56 am    Post subject: linker warnings after using k8-64 flag Reply with quote

Hi!

I am trying to compile one program package on the Opteron using pgf90 compiler. If the tp=k8-32 flag is used, everything is OK. But when the tp=k8-64 flag is used, two different linker warnings are displayed:
usr/bin/ld: Warning: alignment 16 of symbol `pghpf_type_' in /usr/pgi/linux86/5.2/lib/libpgf902.a(const.o) is smaller than 32 in mc.o
/usr/bin/ld: warning: i386:x86-64 architecture of input file `mc.o' is incompatible with i386 output
(and more similar messages as the second one for each f90 file)

There is one message of type 1 and several of type 2 (for each f90 file compiled).

The makefile used is given below:
-------------------------------------------
ARCH = LINUX

SER_DEFINES = -D$(ARCH)
CSER_DEFINES = -D$(ARCH)
PAR_DEFINES = -D$(ARCH) -D_PAR_
PAR2_DEFINES = -D$(ARCH) -D_PAR2_

SER_XLF = pgf90
SER_XLFLINK = $(SER_XLF) -Wl,-Bstatic
PAR_XLF = $(SER_XLF)
PAR_XLFLINK = mpif90 -Wl,-Bstatic
FOPT = -O3 -Mfree -tp=k8-64

FSERFLAG = $(SER_DEFINES) $(FOPT)
FPARFLAG = $(PAR_DEFINES) $(FOPT)
FPAR2FLAG = $(PAR2_DEFINES) $(FOPT)

XLC = cc
COPT = -O
CFLAG = $(CSER_DEFINES) $(COPT)
-------------------------------------------------

The fortran 90 code includes also some c statements for parallel executable generation:

#if defined (_PAR_)
f90 code
#else
f90 code
#endif

Using -m64 flag does not help.

Pure f90 programs compile smoothly using k8-64 flag and run considerably faster than their k8-32 generated counterparts.

The OS is Fedora Core 2 x86-64.

What flags should be used ?

Jurij
mkcolg

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: linker warnings after using k8-64 flag Reply with quote

jurij wrote:

usr/bin/ld: Warning: alignment 16 of symbol `pghpf_type_' in /usr/pgi/linux86/5.2/lib/libpgf902.a(const.o) is smaller than 32 in mc.o

/usr/bin/ld: warning: i386:x86-64 architecture of input file `mc.o' is incompatible with i386 output
(and more similar messages as the second one for each f90 file)

For 1, this is the wrong library for 64-bit. You should be using the "linux86-64/5.2/lib/libpgf902.a" library. For 2, you most likely compiled this as a 32-bit object but are linking with "-tp k8-64".

Try cleaning all the objects and executable(s) and re-build everything with "-tp k8-64". I suspect you build everything with k8-32 but didn't clean before trying to relink with k8-64.

Quote:

Using -m64 flag does not help.

"-m64" is a gcc flag.

Quote:

What flags should be used ?

We typically recommend using "-fastsse -Mipa=fast,inline". For most programs this flag set gives the best performance. You can also try "-fast", "-fastsse", "-fast -Mipa=fast", "-fastsse -O3 -Mipa=fast", etc.

- Mat
bob101

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:08 pm    Post subject: link issues (newbie) Reply with quote

I'm having a similar problem...

/usr/bin/ld: warning: i386:x86-64 architecture of input file `/opt/mpich/lib/libmpich.a(dmpipk.o)' is incompatible with i386 output

file dmpipk.o (from MPICH-GM package)
dmpipk.o: ELF 64-bit LSB relocatable, AMD x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), not stripped

file dynm.o (from 3rd party)
dynm.o: ELF 64-bit LSB relocatable, AMD x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), not stripped

Any ideas?
mkcolg

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bob,

While you can create 32-bit executables on a AMD x86-64 using the "-tp k8-32" flag, you can not mix 32 and 64-bit objects. The objects in the libraries your using were compiled as 64-bit objects, so you may not use them to link with your 32-bit application. You must either re-compile your program as a 64-bit object (ie "-tp k8-64") or obtain 32-bit versions of these libraries.

Hope this helps,
Mat
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PGI User Forum Forum Index -> Programming and Compiling All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: