PGI User Forum
 SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist     RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

CUDA-x86.

reduction operation
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PGI User Forum Forum Index -> Accelerator Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xray

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:56 am    Post subject: How does the reduction with PGI Acc work? Reply with quote

Hi,
it's really good that now the PGI Accelerator Model recognizes reductions and manages them. But I would like to know how the reduction works internally with the Accelerator model.
Thanks in advance.
Sandra
mkcolg

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sandra,

Once the compiler recognizes a reduction, the compiler will generate an intermediate array to hold the reduction values for each thread. After the main kernel completes, a second highly-optimized kernel is launched to perform the actual reduction. If you're interested, NVIDIA has posted a slide-deck detailing how to create optimized reductions HERE.

Hope this helps,
Mat
xray

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mat,
thanks for your response. So, did I understand it right, that you get synchronization by using a secend kernel? And is then the intermediate array located on CPU memory? i.e. if I use our cluster batch system, do I have to reserve memory for this intermediate array as well?
Last question: So, for your second kernel do you use the last optimized algorithm from the nvidia-reduction-slides?
Cheers, Sandra
mkcolg

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So, did I understand it right, that you get synchronization by using a second kernel?
Yes.

Quote:
then the intermediate array located on CPU memory?
No, it's on the GPU.
Quote:

So, for your second kernel do you use the last optimized algorithm from the nvidia-reduction-slides?
I do believe that this is the standard algorithm for performing reductions.

- Mat
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PGI User Forum Forum Index -> Accelerator Programming All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: