PGI User Forum
 SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist     RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

CUDA-x86.

license server not available after a cdk node clone

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PGI User Forum Forum Index -> Licenses and Installation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sad

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:21 pm    Post subject: license server not available after a cdk node clone Reply with quote

we have a pgi7.2 cdk installed on a cluster of 64nodes, everything worked well, but after one of the nodes(cn03) crashed, I cloned it with the image i backed up before the installation of pgi7.2 cdk, the I can not use pgi now, as followed:

[cn03]#lmgrd.rc start
[cn03]# ps -ef|grep pgroupd
root 23847 1123 0 14:17 pts/2 00:00:00 grep pgroupd

[cn03]#lmgrd.rc stop
lmutil - Copyright (c) 1989-2007 Macrovision Europe Ltd. and/or Macrovision Corporation. All Rights Reserved.
Shutdown failed: Cannot connect to license server system. (-15,570:115 "Operation now in progress")

what can I do now? Thanks!
mkcolg

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi sad,

Your cluster should only have one system, typically the head node, that runs the license manager (lmgrd). Unless cn03 really is your head node, then you shouldn't need to run it.

Also, typically the compilers are only installed on the head node, with the remaining nodes only needing some runtime support libraries. If this is the case for your cluster, then you only need to copy over the $PGI directory (by default /opt/pgi) from one of your other nodes. You can also just reinstall the CDK.

If you do have the compilers installed on each node, then you just need to copy over the same license.dat file that your head node uses to the local $PGI directory. Though, you may need to edit the host name if the internal name of your head node if different from the external name.

- Mat
sad

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:29 pm    Post subject: Thanks, Mat Reply with quote

The pgi compiler dir is exported to a node cn03 from hpconsole, which is the license server, or call a head node, this node doesn't have a infiniband card, but another node has, which is cn03. I logged into cn03, tried to make mvapich rpm ans install it in OFED, (that is to make mvapich rpm using pgi compiler), before I cloned this nodecn03, it successed in making mvapich rpm, after the cloning, I did it again, then it failed.
I had already started lmgrd.rc on license server hpconsole, and there is a pgroupd running on hpconsole:
----------------
root 1422 1421 0 Mar06 ? 00:00:00 pgroupd -T hpconsole 11.5 3 -c /hptc_cluster/pgi/license.dat --lmgrd_start 49b0cdf1
-----------------------
I set the environment on node cn03:
--------------------
PGI=/hptc_cluster/pgi
LM_LICENSE_FILE=$LM_LICENSE_FILE:/hptc_cluster/pgi/license.dat

PATH=/hptc_cluster/pgi/linux86-64/7.2-2/bin:$PATH
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/hptc_cluster/pgi/linux86-64/7.2-2/lib:/hptc_cluster/pgi/linux86-64/7.2-2/libso:/usr/lib64:/hptc_cluster/tor
que/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
export PGI LM_LICENSE_FILE
export PATH
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH
------------------------------
Following is the log of OFED, it told me about the license problem.

Configuring MPICH Version 1.2.7 (release) of : 2005/06/22 16:33:49
checking whether filesystem respects case in file names... yes
checking for current directory name... /var/tmp/OFED_topdir/BUILD/mvapich-1.1.0-3143
checking for install
checking for ranlib
checking for gnumake... yes using --no-print-directory
checking whether make supports include... yes
checking for OSF V3 make... no
checking for virtual path format... VPATH
checking whether pgCC returns correct error code... yes
checking whether selected C++ compiler can compile iostream.h... no!...Cannot use pgCC -fPIC compiler
checking for cc... no
checking whether the compiler pgcc accepts ANSI prototypes... no
*# The compiler pgcc does not accept ANSI prototypes
checking for gcc... no
checking whether cross-compiling... yes
checking whether the compiler pgcc runs... no
pgi-cc-lin64: LICENSE MANAGER PROBLEM: Failed to checkout license
pgi-cc-lin64: LICENSE MANAGER PROBLEM: Cannot connect to license server system.
The license server manager (lmgrd) has not been started yet,
the wrong port@host or license file is being used, or the
port or hostname in the license file has been changed.
Feature: pgi-cc-lin64
Server name: hpconsole
License path: /hptc_cluster/pgi/license.dat:
FLEXnet Licensing error:-15,570. System Error: 115 "Operation now in progress"
For further information, refer to the FLEXnet Licensing documentation,
available at "www.macrovision.com".
error: Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.1781 (%install)
mkcolg

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi sad,

Does this set-up work on the other nodes and head node? Did you compile on this node prior its crash? I ask since a typical CDK install has the compilers installed on the head node with only a few runtime support libraries installed on each of the nodes.

If you are able to compile on the other nodes with this setup, I would suspect that the node can't communicate with the head node. Another possibility is that the server name in the license.dat file is different from the name used by this node to communicate with the head node.

If this doesn't help, please send a note to license@pgroup.com. I know the basics of licensing, but our customer service is better at diagnosing more complex licensing problems.

- Mat
sad

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:04 pm    Post subject: Thanks, Mat. Reply with quote

I did succeed in doing this before cloning, and did it successfully on other nodes which is not cloned.

The hostname of cosole is unchanged. Our pgi cdk is installed on an exported dir, it is available on all nodes.

I will send this problem to the one you recommended, thank you!

Regards!
Sad.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PGI User Forum Forum Index -> Licenses and Installation All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: