PGI User Forum
 SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist     RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Free OpenACC Webinar

compiler options question
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PGI User Forum Forum Index -> Programming and Compiling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ephq

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:04 pm    Post subject: compiler options question Reply with quote

I am compiling some old code with pgf77, and was wondering what some of the compiler options in the makefile were.

Specifically, what does:
-My,120,0x20
-Mx,120,0x20

do? pgf77 -help says "pass x flag to compiler", but I don't know what that means.

Also, is there a compiler flag to control whether data is initialized to zero? Is this done automatically?

Thanks
hongyon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

What application is this? We normally don't export x flag to user because an x flag in one release might give the opposite effect on another release.

It looks like it has something to do with generating debugging information.

Hongyon
ephq

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a scientific computing application. It's pretty old so I'm not sure what version of pgi it's programmers were using when they wrote it, probably 3.something.
ephq

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just wondering if it's safe to discard them, sounds like it is.

Also, is there a flag to initialize memory to a specific value or zero (like gfortran's -finit-local-zero)? I think this code was programmed with that assumption.
mkcolg

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi eqhq,

Yes, please discard the -Mx/-My flags. "xflags" are used internally by the compiler and in general should not be used by user.

While we do not have and equivalent "-finit-local-zero", the flag "-Msave", which treats all local variables as having the SAVE attribute, has the side effect of initializing local variables to zero when the program is loaded. Note that with SAVE, a variable will retain it's value from the last call to the subroutine and is not re-initialized each time the subroutine is called.

As an aside, you might want to consider updating your code to initialize your local variables. If it's a large application, a utility like Valgrind (www.valgrind.org) can be very helpful in finding uninitialized memory reads (UMRs) which is generally the reason users request a flag like "-finit-local-zero".

Hope this helps,
Mat
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PGI User Forum Forum Index -> Programming and Compiling All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: