PGI User Forum
 SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist     RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Free OpenACC Course

Problems in Compiling Gromacs
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PGI User Forum Forum Index -> Programming and Compiling
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: matrix box Reply with quote

mleair wrote:

I was not able to reproduce the warning on the pr_box case. I could only produce it if I was passing a const char * actual argument to a char * formal argument. Nonetheless, it seems the important issue is the severe error you are getting on the "if (*box)" expression.

The box object is declared a matrix which, according to you, is typedef to a statically allocated two dimensional array. The way *box gets interpretted is implementation defined. For example, gcc and the Sun compiler do not complain. Perhaps they interpret box[DIM][DIM] as an array of pointers rather than an array of arrays. Our compiler interprets box[DIM][DIM] as an array of arrays. Therefore, *box is semantically giving you an array rather than a pointer to an array. Hence, the error. ICC seems to interpret this the same way too, as it generates a warning. Perhaps our compiler should just generate a warning too.

My guess is that once upon a time this code used dynamic memory allocation for the matrix and the expression "if (*box)" is checking to make sure the second dimension is not NULL. Otherwise, I can't figure out why this check is there in the first place -- it's always true with statically allocated arrays. Anyway, to work around this problem, you can add a cast (e.g., "if ( (matrix*) *box)") and the code should compile without issue on any C compiler.

Thanks very much Mark, The problem is solved by adding an explicit convertion of the pointer (matrix*). I think there must be a bug of the program, because the 'box' according to its definition matrix which is a static real 2D array rather than an dynamically allocated array of arrays.

I encountered another problem. The '--rpath' option was not recognized by the pgcc compiler. Is there any other options in pgcc that perform the function of the --rpath? Thanks for your help.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:53 pm    Post subject: --rpath Reply with quote

Please try using -Wl,--rpath,(your path)

Also as a follow-up to your previous question... We are looking into fixing the "error message" that your program exposed for the next release of pgcc. We may issue a warning or just do what GCC does and just ignore it. Thanks for bringing this issue to our attention.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PGI User Forum Forum Index -> Programming and Compiling All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: