PGI User Forum
 SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist     RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

CUDA-x86.

Screen artifacts - memory problem?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PGI User Forum Forum Index -> Accelerator Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
szczelba

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:25 am    Post subject: Screen artifacts - memory problem? Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I have a GeForce GTS 450 graphic card, CUDA 3.0 and latest version of PGI compiler. I'm testing this newly bought card. I compile and run a simple program which allocates a REAL array of size 1000x1000 on the GPU and performs a simple mathematical operations iteratively on all elements.

The program executes to the end but some small pink squares appear on the screen (here screenshot). The more consecutive execution, the more squares (artifacts) on the screen. And after some time the computer starts to slow down and then even reboots.

This results appears in case of two different programs, so I assume its not the case of code. But in case of the second program there is also an error message:

Quote:
call to CuMemFree returned error 700: Launch failed

I understand tha the allocation and deallocation is dealt with by the compiler (I'm using PGI accelerator model). So what is wrong in here?

PS. I cannot post the test code, because I'm working on remote desktop which is apparently down because of the described problem.
mkcolg

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi szczelba,

This is the first I heard of this happening so unfortunately don't know what's wrong.

Quote:
PS. I cannot post the test code, because I'm working on remote desktop which is apparently down because of the described problem.

So you're accessing the GPU enabled system via a remote desktop? If s, I'm a bit surprised that you got this to run at all. Usually you can't run a GPU program over a remote desktop. If this is the case, what did you to enable this? Do the pink squares appear when run your program from the console?

- Mat
szczelba

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm working on remote computer but not using Remote Desktop. I use VNC which allows to run GPU programms remotely.

The pink squares appeared when I executed a program from console. Strangely, after shutting down the computer and moving to another location, this problem disappeared. This could be a matter of weak power supply. But I'm still not quite sure. Right now everything works and there are no more pink squares or error 700.

Thanks for your reply.
szczelba

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm renewing the topic. The same problem appeared again, after quite a long time.

I've been working on the moving some piece of code to GPU. I've executed this program many times before. Suddenly, after another execution, program exited abnormaly and lots of pink squares appeared on the screen.

PGI version is 10.9. I'm working on the remote machine with Windows XP, using TeamViewer to connect.

I'll try to check this problem localy. But have any one met such a problem before?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PGI User Forum Forum Index -> Accelerator Programming All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: