PGI User Forum
 SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist     RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

CUDA-x86.

"pgcollect -cuda" invalid option
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PGI User Forum Forum Index -> Performance and Benchmarking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kalie Mann

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:21 pm    Post subject: "pgcollect -cuda" invalid option Reply with quote

We're using PGI 10.5 on Ubuntu Linux 10.04. According to the PGI Tools Guide, Release 2010, the proper method for profiling CUDA Fortran programs is to run pgcollect with the "-cuda" option. However, our pgcollect doesn't seem to have any such option, but instead gives the following error:

pgcollect-Error-Unknown switch: -cuda

There is no mention of a "-cuda" option in the pgcollect man page, and I'm unable to see any detailed accelerator time stats in the "accelerator performance" tab in pgprof. The program in question has been compiled with the "-ta=nvidia" (and has a .cuf suffix, same as doing -Mcuda).

Please advise the proper way to do this, and why the documentation doesn't reflect reality. :)

Thanks,
Mark
mkcolg

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mark,

The '-cuda' option for pgcollect is new in version 10.6. You will need to update your version.

Thanks,
Mat
Kalie Mann

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elementary! So we upgraded to 10.6. We have all the new options to pgcollect now, however I still don't get anything other than "seconds" as a measured metric in pgprof no matter what "-cuda=" options I specify for pgcollect. This is a CUDA Fortran program I'm trying to benchmark on an Nvidia Tesla. Program was compiled with "-ta=nvidia". Please advise.

-Mark
mkcolg

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mark,

pgcollect currently only supports CUDA Fortran programs. "-ta" is for the PGI Accelerator model. So I think if you compile without "-ta" you should get the expected NVIDIA GPU hardware counter information in the bottom panel of pgprof.

If this isn't it,then I'll ask one of our Tools engineers to step in and help.

- Mat
Kalie Mann

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should be more specific. I'm not seeing GPU usage benchmarks in pgprof when doing some testing with !$acc pragmas in Fortran. But let me get back to you on that.

Initial problem was that "pgcollect" looks in the wrong directory for its default config files. It looks here:

/opt/pgi/linux86-64/10.6/cuda/pgprof

...which doesn't exist. This directory appears to be compiled into pgcollect. It *should* be looking here:

/opt/pgi/linux86-64/10.6/etc/pgprof

Creating a "cuda" directory in /opt/pgi/linux86-64/10.6 and symlinking the above directory to "cuda/pgprof" fixes that problem.

-Mark
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PGI User Forum Forum Index -> Performance and Benchmarking All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: