PGI User Forum
 SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist     RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

CUDA-x86.

usage of acc_set_device & acc_init
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PGI User Forum Forum Index -> Accelerator Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bullish

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:41 pm    Post subject: usage of acc_set_device & acc_init Reply with quote

I noticed that the accelerator enabled program works smoothly even without using acc_set_device( )& call acc_init( ) to initialize GPU card. Then why we have to add these two functions in the code? thanks!
BeachHut

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess:
If you have multiple GPUs attached you can select which you want to use. For the init it might perform the initialisation that is normally done at the first GPU-related call (you might want to do this for timing purposes, for example).
mkcolg

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Then why we have to add these two functions in the code?
They're optional. The set device is only needed when selecting a device other then the default.

The init call is useful for performance timing. By default the device is initialized on first use, but since the initialization time is approximately 1 second per attached device (Linux only), this can have impact on timing. Placing the acc_init call outside of your timers removes this overhead.

- Mat
TheMatt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: usage of acc_set_device & acc_init Reply with quote

$%^& wrote:
I noticed that the accelerator enabled program works smoothly even without using acc_set_device( )& call acc_init( ) to initialize GPU card. Then why we have to add these two functions in the code? thanks!

acc_set_device() is useful for when you have multiple devices. Say, two Tesla cards or a Tesla S-box. With that command you can set which device you want to run on, so you can do multi-GPU jobs, say, or test how your code runs on different devices with different compute capabilities in the same machine. If you don't use acc_set_device() on a multi-device machine, you'll always get the "default" device, which I think is device 0...though which device is 0 might not be what you think should be "default".

As for acc_init(), in the old days before PGI autoinitialized, I used acc_init() early in a program so that I could "hide" the initialization spinup from timing routines. (ETA: Looks like this is still the case at times. Thanks for letting me know, Mat.)
mkcolg

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Looks like this is still the case at times.
Nothing's changed here. Though we did add an external utility "pgcudainit" which holds the device open and eliminates the initialization cost.

- Mat
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PGI User Forum Forum Index -> Accelerator Programming All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: