PGI User Forum
 SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist     RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

CUDA-x86.

Strong typing and memory copy
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PGI User Forum Forum Index -> Accelerator Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SarahA

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:58 am    Post subject: Strong typing and memory copy Reply with quote

Hello,

I have a fortran 90 code to try with CUDA Fortran (2.3). It has a lot of array aliasing, where they thought it would be nice to refer to double complex 5d arrays sometimes with double reduced-dimension arrays. This was done with argument aliasing, for example:

real array(18, N, 2, 4)
call subr( array )
subroutine subr( array )
complex array(3,3,N,2,4)

This doesn't work with fortran modules, and that seems to be the best way to write sets of CUDA device arrays and routines that use the arrays. There is much whining about formal parameter mismatches, etc.

It doesn't help that EQUIVALENCE is documented as unsupported for CUDA 2.3 ... it does compile without error, but it doesn't seem to work. Of course, I could have another error.

So, my long winded questions are

1) Is there a way to relax type conformance on array copies? ( host = device, etc ).

2) I have tried using the cudaMemcpy() routine, but it fails with errors like:
copyin Memcpy FAILED:4 Perhaps it is because these arrays are multi-dimensional.

3) The runtime routines are not real well documented. Is there a somewhere more details are provided on things like "cudaMemcpyToArray"? For instance, what are the dstx, dsty parameters?

4) Is device array equivalence really supposed to work? Section 3.2.1 of the v1.2 CUDA Fortran guide says no.

Thanks,
Sarah
mkcolg

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sarah,

Quote:
1) Is there a way to relax type conformance on array copies? ( host = device, etc ).
Sorry, no. Though, this is not specifically a CUDA Fortran issue. Rather, you would have the same problem with any module.

The work around is to write your CUDA Fortran module using complex, and have "subr" call the kernel. Something like:
Code:

module bar

contains

attributes(global) subroutine foo_kernel(x)
complex, device, dimension(*) :: x
i = threadidx%x
x(i) = cmplx(i*2.0-1.0,i*2.0)
return
end

end module bar

subroutine foo(x)
use bar
complex, device, dimension(*) :: x
call foo_kernel<<<1,50>>> (x)
end subroutine foo

program test
use cudafor
interface
 subroutine foo(x)
   real, device, dimension(*) :: x
 end subroutine
end interface
real, allocatable, device, dimension(:) :: a
real ha(100)
allocate(a(100))
ha=-1
a = 0.0
call foo(a)
ha = a
print *,ha(1),ha(2),ha(99),ha(100)
end

Quote:
It doesn't help that EQUIVALENCE is documented as unsupported for CUDA 2.3 ... it does compile without error, but it doesn't seem to work. Of course, I could have another error.
The compiler should catch this and give an error if EQUIVALENCE is used. I've submitted a problem report (TPR#16726) to have this fixed.

Hope this helps,
Mat
SarahA

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:33 am    Post subject: CUDA Fortran runtime library documentation Reply with quote

Thanks for the idea.

Any pointers on documentation for the CUDA Fortran run time memory copy routines? The manual, even the newest one, is a little thin there. I'll try matching them up with the CUDA C equivalents to decode the "dstx" and "dsty" arguments and so on.

Perhaps a runtime call to do copies would solve my problem.
mkcolg

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi SarahA,

Quote:
Any pointers on documentation for the CUDA Fortran run time memory copy routines? The manual, even the newest one, is a little thin there. I'll try matching them up with the CUDA C equivalents to decode the "dstx" and "dsty" arguments and so on.
Yes, the most frequent complaint we get from users is the lack of documentation and examples. It will get better over time.

The other complaint we get is that when we do get questions liek this, we tend to send users to the NVIDIA CUDA C documentation. Which is what I'll need to do here (sorry). The Fortran "cuda" routines are just calls to the CUDA C versions so the NVIDIA documentation should work. http://developer.download.nvidia.com/compute/cuda/3_0-Beta1/toolkit/docs/online/group__CUDART__MEMORY.html

Note that textured memory and cuda Arrays aren't yet supported. So the routines that uses them are only there for CUDA C compatibility.

- Mat
SarahA

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mkcolg wrote:
Hi SarahA,

The other complaint we get is that when we do get questions liek this, we tend to send users to the NVIDIA CUDA C documentation. Which is what I'll need to do here (sorry). The Fortran "cuda" routines are just calls to the CUDA C versions so the NVIDIA documentation should work. http://developer.download.nvidia.com/compute/cuda/3_0-Beta1/toolkit/docs/online/group__CUDART__MEMORY.html

Note that textured memory and cuda Arrays aren't yet supported. So the routines that uses them are only there for CUDA C compatibility.

- Mat

Well then, at the risk of my questions getting dumber and dumber...
How does one go about specifying and calling CUDA C kernels from a CUDA Fortran program?

Since there is no linker ... does one specify the source.cu for 'pgfortran' and it just works?

Yes, a lot of these questions will go away with a couple concrete examples being provided.

Sarah
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PGI User Forum Forum Index -> Accelerator Programming All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: