PGI User Forum
 SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist     RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

CUDA-x86.

tvmet, blitz large functions and inline
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PGI User Forum Forum Index -> Programming and Compiling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mkcolg

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paul,

Unfortunately, I don't have Gentoo installed here since it's not one of our supported systems. I'll send you my config.h file, perhaps the configure script made some other changes as well.

I'll email you where you can send the code and I see what I can determine!

Thanks,
Mat
mkcolg

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This turned out to be a very interesting problem. Paul's code contains a single expression that is ~600 lines long and has several hundred inlined functions. The sheer volume of inlined functions in the expression causes the code size to grow past the maxium size allowed by the inliner. The inliner has a hard limit as to the maximum code size allowed since if left uncheck, the compilation time for most codes can grow exponentially.

I've filed a techincal problem report and asked our compiler team to review his code since it illustrates one area in which we can improve our C++ performance. As a work around, I modified his code by assigning several of the redunant function calls to local variables and using the local variables in place of the function calls in the expression. This reduced the size of the code enough for the remaining functions in the expression to be inlined, and hopefully get the performance where it should be.

Thanks!
Mat
paultschi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mat,

thanks for your help. I will implement your hint with the locals.

Cheers,

Paul
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PGI User Forum Forum Index -> Programming and Compiling All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: