PGI User Forum
 SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist     RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

CUDA-x86.

pgprof and Mpfi/Mpfo Confusion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PGI User Forum Forum Index -> Debugging and Profiling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheMatt

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:52 am    Post subject: pgprof and Mpfi/Mpfo Confusion Reply with quote

I'm trying to profile some code I've been relooping into one giant outer loop using pgcollect. Following the benchADM example, I first compiled with (showing first file, driver.f90 and link stage use same options):
Code:
pgfortran -fast -Kieee -r4 -Mextend -Mpreprocess -Ktrap=fp -Minfo=ccff -Mpfi -c src/sorad.allreloop.f
I then ran the code which generated pgfi.out, and I then compiled with:
Code:
pgfortran -fast -Kieee -r4 -Mextend -Mpreprocess -Ktrap=fp -Minfo=ccff -Mpfo -c src/sorad.allreloop.f
and finally ran the code under pgcollect. After doing so, I go in and I see with the first main, big loop (that surrounds all the code):
Code:
4.  Intensity = [symbolic], and not printable, try the -Mpfi -Mpfo options

So, I'm guessing I didn't use the Mpfi/Mpfo options correctly. What is the correct sequence of running, the correct flags, &c., that I should use? Or, will profiling always "skip" the first, overarching loop like this? I do see compute intensity for the interior loops, I was just hoping to get a number for the big loop.
mkcolg

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Matt,

I think you're doing everything correct. The profiling may not always determine the intensity. Most likely in your case, the intensity formula may be too complex or if one of the variable's value could not be determined. While I don't think it's relevant here, but I also see this when the code in question was never executed.

- Mat
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PGI User Forum Forum Index -> Debugging and Profiling All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: