PGI User Forum
 SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist     RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

CUDA-x86.

need to run pgaccelinfo as root once

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PGI User Forum Forum Index -> Accelerator Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tonycurtis

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:08 pm    Post subject: need to run pgaccelinfo as root once Reply with quote

[ CentOS 5.3 machine, compilers 9.0-1 and 9.0-4, 2 Tesla C1060s. ]

If root doesn't run pgaccelinfo once after a reboot, users get "No accelerators found".

Running pgaccelinfo as root then magically makes everything right and users can see/use the GPUs.

I've temporarily added a pgaccelinfo in an rc file, but why is this once-off needed?

thanks
mkcolg

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi tonycurtis,

We have the same issue here with our systems and it's my understanding that it's a general problem with NVIDIA. What our IT guys have told me is that the "/dev/nvidiaN" directories need to be created before a user can run a job on the NVIDIA devices. These directories either need to manually created or are automatically created when the first job is run. However, since only root has permissions to create these directories, root must be the first to run a job.

What we do is create a "/etc/init.d/nvidia" file with the following (also add "/etc/init.d/nvidia" to boot.local).
Code:
/etc/init.d% cat nvidia
#!/bin/sh

mknod /dev/nvidia0 c 195 0
mknod /dev/nvidia1 c 195 1
mknod /dev/nvidiactl c 195 255
chown root.video /dev/nvidia*
chmod 0666 /dev/nvidia*

# need this to spool down the fan
/usr/pgi/linux86-64/9.0-1/bin/pgaccelinfo

You would need to adjust for the number of devices (this system has two) and change the group when setting the permissions. Note that pgaccelinfo is left in because until the Nvidia driver is loaded, the fans on our devices run at full speed.

Hope this helps,
Mat
tonycurtis

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
the "/dev/nvidiaN" directories need to be created before a user can run a job on the NVIDIA devices

actually, I knew that but had had a brain malfunction :-)

the pgaccelinfo enumerates the cards (2 here) and creates all the appropriate devices.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PGI User Forum Forum Index -> Accelerator Programming All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: