PGI User Forum
 SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist     RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

CUDA-x86.

pgdbg on opteron cluster
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PGI User Forum Forum Index -> Debugging and Profiling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jevans

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OS is Scyld Beowulf release 29cz (29cz-3_Scyld 200408261137)
and the kernel version is 2.4.25-25_Scyldsmp #1 SMP Wed Aug 18 13:31:30 EDT 2004 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I'm able to run other java applications, e.g. matlab with the desktop enabled, and a simple example at http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/uiswing/learn/example-1dot4/HelloWorldSwing.java

The motif option does seem to work, although I'm unable to get multiple threads yet. One thing at a time, though...
mleair

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jevans wrote:
The OS is Scyld Beowulf release 29cz (29cz-3_Scyld 200408261137)
and the kernel version is 2.4.25-25_Scyldsmp #1 SMP Wed Aug 18 13:31:30 EDT 2004 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I'm able to run other java applications, e.g. matlab with the desktop enabled, and a simple example at http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/uiswing/learn/example-1dot4/HelloWorldSwing.java

The motif option does seem to work, although I'm unable to get multiple threads yet. One thing at a time, though...

How do you ssh into your cluster? Are you using "ssh -X"? I'm curious what happens when you try different methods for ssh (e.g., "ssh -X", "ssh -x", "ssh -Y", "ssh"). Also are you able to rlogin/rsh into your cluster? If so, please try that so we can determine if this is an ssh issue.

Thanks,

Mark
jevans

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my linux desktop, I usually ssh in with no extra arguments, but I've tried -X and -Y, and there's no difference. "-x" disables X11 forwarding, so no graphics can run in that case.

Forgot to mention that rsh isn't available.
mleair

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:17 pm    Post subject: ssh -X -v Reply with quote

jevans wrote:
From my linux desktop, I usually ssh in with no extra arguments, but I've tried -X and -Y, and there's no difference. "-x" disables X11 forwarding, so no graphics can run in that case.

Forgot to mention that rsh isn't available.

Do you see any error messages when you log in with "ssh -X -v" and start up pgdbg?
We're not able to reproduce this problem here. Probably because we do not have a machine with the same kernel/distribution you are using. Officially we support the distributions listed on this web page: http://www.pgroup.com/support/install.htm#release_info
However, many of our users have gotten our products to work on other distributions.

In addition to those distributions listed, the java website ( http://www.java.com/en/download/linux_manual.jsp ) states the following:

Quote:
Most testing of Java RE for Linux in the English-locale has been conducted on Red Hat 7.2, with kernel patch 2.4.9-31. Most testing in non-English locales has been conducted on Red Hat 7.1. However, Java RE has undergone limited testing on these other Linux operating systems:

* Caldera Open Linux 3.1 (kernel 2.4.2, glibc 2.2.1)
* Turbo Linux 7.0 (kernel 2.2.18, glivc 2.1.x)
* SuSE Linux 7.1 (kernel 2.4, glibc 2.2.14)
* Turbo Linux for Simplified Chinese locale

I don't know very much about your linux distribution...I'll contact someone else here to see they do...maybe there's something in your linux distribution that came from a non-English locale that java needs.

Is it possible to get a login to your cluster to investigate this more? If so, drop me an email...

By the way, not that it really matters, but do you get the same thing when you execute "pgprof" ?

Thanks,

-Mark

Last edited by mleair on Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
jevans

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see any thing that looks like an error message when trying pgdbg via a login session started from ssh -X -v

bash-2.05b$ NP=2 pgdbg testit a b c d
debug1: client_input_channel_open: ctype x11 rchan 4 win 65536 max 16384
debug1: client_request_x11: request from 127.0.0.1 46616
debug1: channel 3: new [x11]
debug1: confirm x11
debug1: channel 3: FORCE input drain
debug1: client_input_channel_open: ctype x11 rchan 5 win 65536 max 16384
debug1: client_request_x11: request from 127.0.0.1 46617
debug1: channel 4: new [x11]
debug1: client_input_channel_open: ctype x11 rchan 6 win 65536 max 16384
debug1: client_request_x11: request from 127.0.0.1 46620
debug1: channel 5: new [x11]
debug1: channel 5: FORCE input drain

The NP=2 is a short cut on mpi-aware systems such as the scyld operating system so I don't have to invoke mpirun -np 2 blah blah blah. It just tells the executable to attempt 2 processes. Using mpirun results in the same error.

I'll talk to the head sysadmin about the login account. There are some issues there, but we've done it before with a guy from Penguin.

Finally tracked down what CX is. "Christmas Island" of all places. Seems to be a common occurance with java programs, but no common thread of resolution.

"pgprof" results in similar error messages, although here we don't even get a persistent X window staying open.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PGI User Forum Forum Index -> Debugging and Profiling All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: