PGI User Forum
 SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist     RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Free OpenACC Webinar

pgdbg on opteron cluster
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PGI User Forum Forum Index -> Debugging and Profiling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jevans

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:19 pm    Post subject: pgdbg on opteron cluster Reply with quote

I'm running PGDBG 5.2-4 AMD-64 (Workstation, 16 CPU) on a beowulf cluster, but unfortunately I cannot seem to get very far with pgdbg in graphical mode. When trying to invoke the debugger with

pdgdb testit a b c d

where "testit" is a very simple C program that does nothing but print out its command line arguments, I get an X window popping up stating

current locale is not supported in X11, locale is set to CX locale modifiers are not supported, using defaultException in thread "main" java.lang.InternalError: Current locale is not supported
at sun.awt.motif.MWindowPeer.pSetTitle(Native Method)
at sun.awt.motif.MWindowPeer.init(MWindowPeer.java:97)
. blah blah blah

I've tried changing the local environment variables, but there's no change.

Thinking that this might just have something to do with the java version that PGI uses, I downloaded the latest 1.5 jre from sun for opteron and set

export PGI_JAVA=/usr/java/jdk1.5.0_01/bin/java

but didn't get much further than that, getting the same X window with a new java error as stated down below.

PGDBG 5.2-4 AMD-64 (Workstation, 16 CPU)
Copyright 1989-2000, The Portland Group, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Copyright 2000-2004, STMicroelectronics, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.
. blah blah blah

The debugger seems to work ok in text mode, but it would be nice to have a graphical interface for MPI debugging. The graphical debugger works just fine on my own workstation, but that's a uniprocessor machine. Any suggestions?
mleair

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:50 pm    Post subject: PGDBG on cluster Reply with quote

Hi,

First, you are setting your display variable to your local machine, correct?

What do you get when you execute the "locale" command on the node in which you are invoking pgdbg?

Try doing an "unsetenv LANG" (or "unset LANG" if you are using bash/sh) before invoking pgdbg.

What happens when you try invoking PGDBG with the -motif switch? This brings up the old motif based GUI. While this may be adequate as a work around, it should not be considered a long term solution since the old GUI will no longer be available starting with the next release (6.0).

-Mark
jevans

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't think to try the -motif switch. Seems to bring up a gui ok, thanks man. Now I get to modify Penguin's mpirun to work with pgdbg. As to the other questions...

I'm logging in via SSH, so the DISPLAY should not be a problem? Other X applications run ok.

We have the garbled man pages issue on this machine, so instead of

LANG=en_US.UTF-8

I have

LANG=en_US

However, changing LANG doesn't seem to affect anything... The results of "locale" are

bash-2.05b$ locale
LANG=en_US
LC_CTYPE="en_US"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US"
LC_TIME="en_US"
LC_COLLATE="en_US"
LC_MONETARY="en_US"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US"
LC_PAPER="en_US"
LC_NAME="en_US"
LC_ADDRESS="en_US"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_US"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US"
LC_ALL=

These change upon a new LANG setting, of course.
mleair

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:51 pm    Post subject: cluster Reply with quote

Hi,

So, you are logging in with "ssh -X", correct? If not, please try different combinations of ssh log-in (ssh -X, ssh -Y, ssh -x, ssh). What version of linux are you using (kernel and distribution)? Is there any chance you can rsh/rlogin to the node and try it? I am suspecting that there may be some problems with java over your ssh connection. There have been some reported problems with running java GUIs over ssh connections (e.g., http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=4374153 ;
http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=6184081 ;
http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=4511546 ).
Unfortunately, we have not been able to reproduce this here. Hopefully with more information we can get it fixed.

Thanks,

Mark
David Norton

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of simple suggestions to help isolate the issue:

When you ssh - if you use -X -v you will get some extra debugging information. If motif is running, that is probably not the issue. (Also, you shouldn't have to set the DISPLAY variable as it is coming back through the ssh tunnel and setting it disturbs this). I do multiple hops onto an Opteron system and am having some issues too, and am trying to track them down.

If you do you get motif back, but get an error message about the display on the java version that would be of value to know.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PGI User Forum Forum Index -> Debugging and Profiling All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: