PGI User Forum
 SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist     RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

CUDA-x86.

PVF: How to inspect arrays declared as pointer in watches?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PGI User Forum Forum Index -> Debugging and Profiling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CasperK

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:34 am    Post subject: PVF: How to inspect arrays declared as pointer in watches? Reply with quote

Hi.

I recently migrated to PVF with Visual Studio 2005 from Intel Visual Fortran. I have some large data structures of arrays that are being reallocated dynamically and are declared as pointer. In the Intel debugger I could inspect all elements of these pointer variables as seen below with watches, but with the PVF debugger I only see the first elements in the arrays. How can I get inspect the full arrays?

Regards,

Casper Kirkegaard

real*8, pointer :: Datas(:)
ams

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Casper,

It sounds like you are using array slices in the watch window (i.e., Datas(1:5)). If this is not the case, please let me know what you are using instead.

Array slice support is not well supported in the watch window. A TPR has been filed on this issue.

Until such support is available, try using the Immediate window to print the array slice. The Immediate window gives you a direct line to the PVF debug engine. So, for example, you could type "print Datas(1:5)" in this window and get a printout of those elements.

Let me know how that works for you in your debugging situation.

Annemarie
CasperK

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Annemarie.

In the Intel debugger we could just put a watch on Datas and the debugger would know the size of the array and show all entries.

Using the immediate window would work although I find it a bit cumbersome. Inspecting arrays in this way requires more typing and also requires you to look up the array dimensions. Any chance you could make it work like in the Intel debugger?

Regards,

Casper
ams

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Casper,

Would you clarify one thing for me? When you put Datas in the Watch window, do you add "Datas" or an array slice like "Datas(1:5)"?

Thanks.

Annemarie
CasperK

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I would like to do is just add "Datas" to the watch list and have all of the elements listed like in the Intel debugger. When I do this in the PGI debugger I only see the very first element.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PGI User Forum Forum Index -> Debugging and Profiling All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: