PGI User Forum
 SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist     RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

CUDA-x86.

error while loading shared libraries
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PGI User Forum Forum Index -> Debugging and Profiling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emma

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:24 am    Post subject: error while loading shared libraries Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm attempting to compile some existing C code with the PGI CDK C compiler.

The code includes a number of shared libraries, and executables which link to those shared libraries.

This being my first attempt, I've not included any optimizations in the compilation step. I've simply replace gcc with the pgcc command. The compilation appears to complete successfully. However when I attempt to run the main program it crashes abruptly on startup with: FATAL PROGRAM ERROR: Aborted on SIGSEGV.

So, I looked up the command for the PGI debugger and attempted to run the main program from there. It fails to launch and complains it cannot locate one of my shared libraries. I found the library in the directory I expect it to be in. That directory is in LD_LIBRARY_PATH and I include it in the path set by the -I flag for pgdbg:

Code:
pgdbg -I $FPA/lib/$PLATFORM/:"other stuff here" $FPA/bin/$PLATFORM/$PROG

I don't know if the SIGSEGV is related to the failure of the debugger to locate the shared library or not.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

I'm running PGI CDK 7.2-5 x86 32 bit version on an HP with two quad-core 64 bit Intel processors. Operating system is Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 5.

I don't have a license for 64 bit in case you're wondering why I'm using the 32 bit version.
mkcolg

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Emma,

PGDBG should be able to find your shared library if it's in your environment's LD_LIBRARY_PATH. However, the "-I" option tells the debugger where your source files are located, not your shared libraries. What happens if you remove the "-I$FPA/lib/$PLATFORM/:"other stuff here" option?

- Mat
Emma

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, that's what I thought. Anyway I removed the -I option completely and I get the same result.

Interestingly if I compile using gcc, and then run PGDBG it works just fine. Not sure why I didn't try this before. So this makes me think it's a compile issue not a debugger issue. I guess I'll have to take a closer look at our Makefiles. Are you aware of any differences between gcc and pgcc when it comes to compiling shared libraries or linking to them?
mkcolg

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Emma,

Chapter 7 of the PGI User's guide (http://www.pgroup.com/doc/pgiug.pdf) discusses how to create shared objects on Linux. However, we use the same method as gcc where you need compile your objects with "-fpic" and then use the flag "-shared" to create the shared object.

Also, we're object compatible with gcc so you can try creating the shared object with gcc and then link it with your application built with pgcc. Make sure that you compile the gcc portion with "-m32" if you're on a 64-bit system, in order to create 32-bit objects.

- Mat
Emma

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:39 am    Post subject: Not sure where to go from here. Reply with quote

Hi Mat,

Well I tried your suggest and compiled the library with GCC and the main app with PGCC, same result. So for fun I compiled the library with PGCC and the main app with GCC, at least this time I got a different error message.

Code:
error while loading shared libraries: /opt/pgi/linux86/7.2-5/lib/libpgc.so: cannot restore segment prot after reloc: Permission denied

Our makefiles are ancient and convoluted, but as far as I can tell I'm using the -fPIC and -shared flags correctly.

Thank-you for your ideas
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PGI User Forum Forum Index -> Debugging and Profiling All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: