PGI User Forum
 SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist     RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Free OpenACC Webinar

pgfortran segfaults when compiling acc (14.1 only)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PGI User Forum Forum Index -> Programming and Compiling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BrentP

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:05 am    Post subject: pgfortran segfaults when compiling acc (14.1 only) Reply with quote

Hello,

This is a follow up to my previous post involving an error when compiling scalar "kernels" regions:
http://www.pgroup.com/userforum/viewtopic.php?t=4226&highlight=

In that topic, I was advised to use "parallel" in place of "kernels" for scalar device code. This does fix the problem when compiling with PGI 13.6. However when using the latest version of the compiler that I have installed (14.1) I am encountering a new issue: the compiler apparently segfaults while compiling the parallel region in the code (available in this link):
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1fu3KCwysj1NkIydVdaWXhZMms/edit?usp=sharing

The error output is:
Code:

Stack dump:
0.   Running pass 'Live Variable Analysis' on function '@ldc_explicit_iter_911_gpu'
pgnvd-Fatal-/aoe/pgi/linux86-64/2014/cuda/5.0/nvvm/cicc TERMINATED by signal 11
Arguments to /aoe/pgi/linux86-64/2014/cuda/5.0/nvvm/cicc
/aoe/pgi/linux86-64/2014/cuda/5.0/nvvm/cicc -arch compute_20 -m64 -ftz=0 -prec_div=1 -prec_sqrt=1 -fmad=1 /tmp/pgnvdaYXdaWIyK5Un.i -o /tmp/pgaccNXXd1Yj8FyTH.ptx
PGF90-F-0155-Compiler failed to translate accelerator region (see -Minfo messages): Device compiler exited with error status code (solvers.f90: 1)
PGF90/x86-64 Linux 14.1-0: compilation aborted
make: *** [solvers.o] Error 2

Note that the code in the link will compile successfully if I change the parallel back to a kernels but generates incorrect output. If you want any more info about my system setup or compiler installation, I can post that as well.

Thanks,
-Brent
cparrott

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Brent,

I have reproduced this issue with PGI 14.4 here internally. Thanks for sharing your code with us - this is very helpful for debugging the problem. I will file a report and follow up as soon as I have more information.

Best regards,

+chris
cparrott

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Brent,

We have determined that the segfault is actually occurring in the cicc 5.0 component, which is part of the NVIDIA CUDA compiler. (A different group in NVIDIA outside of PGI deals with this.) The PGI compilers use this when generating GPU code for NVIDIA GPUs.

We have determined that your code will compile if you pass -ta=tesla:5.5 to the PGI compiler. Can you try this workaround, and confirm if it works for you?

Best regards,

+chris
BrentP

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, using the flag -ta=tesla:5.5 seems to have fixed the problem.

Thanks,
Brent
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PGI User Forum Forum Index -> Programming and Compiling All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: