PGI User Forum
 SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist     RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Free OpenACC Webinar

Programming with two languages (Please advise)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PGI User Forum Forum Index -> Programming and Compiling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Torkin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:57 am    Post subject: Programming with two languages (Please advise) Reply with quote

Hello

I have a very specific question. My fortran code produces a "Ax=b" matrix and vectors and I would like to solve it using a family of functions that is written in C which is also Cuda enabled.

How would I start to link my values from fortran to the solver on C using PGI?
Could you please guide me on where I might find the necessary steps?

Thank you!
Ahmed
mkcolg

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Torkin,

I would suggest start by reading Chapter 13, Inter-language Calling, of the PGI Compiler User's Guide. It give a good overview of the issues you may encounter.

Also, I'd recommend reading about the F2003 iso_c_binding intrinsic module. This module greatly simplifies interoperability with C.

Finally, calling CUDA C from CUDA Fortran follows the same Fortan to C conventions as above. However, I highly recommend using iso_c_binding if you're going to call CUDA C global kernels directly since you'll need an interface block describing the call. While this article I wrote is a bit old, it does have an example of CUDA Fortran calling CUDA C. See: http://www.pgroup.com/lit/articles/insider/v2n1a4.htm

- Mat
Torkin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful!
Thank you Mat
Torkin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Mat

As is obvious, I am new to coding. I am looking at the Monte Carlo Integration example and it is very helpful in understanding many things, I am grateful for all the support.

I am just lost in one thing..could you please tell me the exact steps of getting the makefile to start? Do I have to use PGI Bash (64) or will PGI Cmd (64) run it too? I call the directory where "pgi_mc_example" folder exists...and then?

Please help me.
Ahmed
mkcolg

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ahmed,

On Windows, you'll want to use the Cygwin (bash) environment since DOS doesn't support Make.

I wrote that article with Linux in mind and don't think I tested it on Windows. Though, that's why we ship Cygwin, so folks a have Unix like environment and access to these tools. I don't think you'll have a problem with the code, but may need to adjust paths and make sure nvcc can be invoked (if you're doing the mixed CUDA C portion). Also, you'll most likely need to figure out what symbol name nvcc gives the random number generator routine.

I'm a bit swapped today but I can, I'll try the example myself on Windows and see what I encounter.

- Mat
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PGI User Forum Forum Index -> Programming and Compiling All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: