PGI User Forum
 SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist     RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

CUDA-x86.

quick_GeForce680_x64.exe is not a valid win32 application.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PGI User Forum Forum Index -> Accelerator Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dolf

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:07 am    Post subject: quick_GeForce680_x64.exe is not a valid win32 application. Reply with quote

Hi all,

Anyone encountered this issue before? I compiled my fortran 90 code using PVF 12.4 and created both 32 bit and 64 bit executables (named: Quick_GeForce680_x64.exe). I also copied the required cuda runtime DLL libraries and put them in the same directory as the exe files. I can run on my machine which is Windows 7, Dell XPS 8500, Core i7 3.4 GHz, 16 GB ram and GeForce 680 GPU.
but, I sent executables to another company to try, They could not run it. They are using Windows XP 64 bit OS, service pack 2, XEON processor, 8 GB ram and also GeForce 680 GPU. When they run the code, this error message they get:

Quick_GeForce680_x64.exe is not a valid win32 application.

what could be the issue? why windows XP cannot run the exe file? what should I install to prevent this issue from happening?

cheers,
Dolf
mkcolg

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dolf,

I know that you'll get this error if you using Visual Studio 2012 built exe's on Windows XP (MS doesn't support XP anymore) but we didn't start shipping VS2012 until PGI 13.0 so I don't think that the issue here.

The next thing I try is to have them install the Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 C runtime libraries. In the "C:\Program Files\PGI\Microsoft Open Tools 10\redist" there are two directories with files starting with "vcredist". The "amd64" directory has the 64-bit version while "x86" contains the 32-bit versions.

Though, I'd expect a "Side by Side" error rather than a "is not a valid win32 application" if it was the issue so I'm not sure this will work.

Unfortunately, the engineer in change of Visual Studio integration is on vacation, otherwise I'd ask her.

- Mat
Dolf

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:53 pm    Post subject: RE: Reply with quote

Hi Mat,

I am using VS 2010, not 2012. Not sure if this could be the problem here.
I will ask them to install the run time library and see what they get.

thanks,
Dolf
Dolf

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: RE: Reply with quote

Hi Mat,

After installing the visual studio runtime on windows XP 64 bit OS with SP2, error message :"this can only be installed on windows vista SP2" appeared, how can eliminate this problem?

thanks,
Dolf
mkcolg

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dolf,

I'll ask Annemarie when she gets back but I don't think there's much that can be done here. Typically, binaries are only forward compatible with respect to operating systems, not backwards. Plus the fact the Microsoft no longer supports XP, makes things more difficult.

If you want to support XP, you'll need to install XP on your system and then rebuild the program. The rule of thumb is to build on the lowest common denominator.

- Mat
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PGI User Forum Forum Index -> Accelerator Programming All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: