PGI User Forum
 SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist     RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

CUDA-x86.

Tuning a Monte Carlo Algorithm on GPUs: basic question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PGI User Forum Forum Index -> Accelerator Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bcaulf

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:35 am    Post subject: Tuning a Monte Carlo Algorithm on GPUs: basic question Reply with quote

I am a complete novice with CUDA and so I am probably overlooking something basic here with scoping or something. As I was reading over the first listing in the tutorial I see:
Code:

do i=1,N
    tempVal = X(i)*X(i) + Y(i)*Y(i)
if (tempVal < 1) then
temp(i) = 1
      else
    temp(i) = 0
      endif

So now temp(i) equals either 0 or 1 for all i in 1,N. Right?

Then later we see:

Code:
   do i=1,N
     sumA = sumA + temp(i)
     sumSq = sumSq + (temp(i)*temp(i))

Since each value of temp(i) is either 0 or 1, temp(i)*temp(i) is just 0*0=0 or 1*1=1 for each value of i. So sumA is equal to sumSq. Right? And what is the point of independently calculating the same value? And later:

Code:
    meanA = sumA / real(N);
    meanSq = sumSq / real(N);

Then doesn't meanA equal meanSq? And how does that help compute the variance? So what is wrong with my understanding?
mkcolg

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, you're correct. I considered removing the variance portion from the code since it didn't matter in this case. But, it's part of a Monte Carlo algorithm I was using, so decide to leave it in.

- Mat
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PGI User Forum Forum Index -> Accelerator Programming All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: