PGI User Forum
 SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist     RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Free OpenACC Webinar

unrolling or data dependent loops
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PGI User Forum Forum Index -> Programming and Compiling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deeppow

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:36 am    Post subject: unrolling or data dependent loops Reply with quote

I have a typical loop, for example
DO k = 1, JFLagcnt
j = LSTjflag(k)
w(j) = (w(j)+B(j)*p(j))/B(j)
ENDDO

Initially compiler gives "Loop not vectorized: data dependency Loop unrolled 4 times " so I try a compiler directive
!pgi$l nodepchk
DO k = 1, JFLagcnt
j = LSTjflag(k)
w(j) = (w(j)+B(j)*p(j))/B(j)
ENDDO
and get the following compiler output "Loop not parallelized: innermost Loop not vectorized: may not be beneficial Loop unrolled 4 times"

The loop is >12000 elements. What am I doing wrong so I get it to vectorized? There are a number of loops like this so it'll affect run time.
mkcolg

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi deeppow,

I think you're fine, but the compiler isn't tuned to vectorize loops where the indexes come from a look-up table. I added a feature request (TPR#19181) and we will have our engineers see what we can do.

Thanks,
Mat
deeppow

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt,

Using indirect indexing to avoid repeated if-testing, do test once and store for reuse. It's an old method, is there a better way these days?

-ralph
deeppow

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An additional weird problem is associated with
DO k = 1, JFLagcnt
j = LSTjflag(k)
u(j) = r(j) + beta*h(j)
p(j) = u(j) + beta*(beta*p(j)+h(j))
ENDDO

which produces the compiler output "Loop not vectorized: data dependency Loop unrolled 2 times". Most data dependency failures such as that noted above produce unrolling of 4 times. Even thought the default is 4, I tried to force it by using the compiler option "-Munroll=c:4" which as one might expect doesn't change the behavior.

-ralph
mkcolg

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ralph,

Try using "-Munrol=n:4" or "-Munroll=m:4" instead. The "c" option controls the maximum loop count to completely unroll a loop. "n" controls the unroll factor for single block loops while "m" controls the factor for multi-block loops.

Hope this helps,
Mat
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PGI User Forum Forum Index -> Programming and Compiling All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: