PGI User Forum
 SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist     RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

CUDA-x86.

compilation of mpich 3.0.1 fails with on 32-bit machines
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PGI User Forum Forum Index -> Programming and Compiling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
p.j.knowles

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:57 am    Post subject: compilation of mpich 3.0.1 fails with on 32-bit machines Reply with quote

MPICH 3.0.1 fails to compile with pgi 12.10 compilers on 32-bit machines. There is no problem on 64-bit machines.

The building instructions used were:

Code:
./configure --prefix=$HOME/mpich-install --with-device=ch3:nemesis --with-pm=hydra --enable-f77 F77=/opt/pgi/linux86/12.10/bin/pgf90 --enable-fc FC=/opt/pgi/linux86/12.10/bin/pgf90 --enable-cc CC=/opt/pgi/linux86/12.10/bin/pgcc --enable-cxx CXX=/opt/pgi/linux86/12.10/bin/pgCC
make

and it results in the following compilation error:

Code:
PGC-F-0000-Internal compiler error. Unable to allocate a register 8 (topology-x86.c: 77)
PGC/x86 Linux 12.10-0: compilation aborted

any ideas of how to fix this? Thanks
mkcolg

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi p.j.knowles,

I just tried but was unable to recreate the error on Linux using the 32-bit PGI 12.10 compilers. What OS are you using? Are there any additional flags?

Code:
mpich-3.0.1/src/pm/hydra/tools/topo/hwloc/hwloc/src% pgcc -c topology-x86.c -I../include -m32 -w
PGC/x86 Linux 12.10-0: compilation completed with warnings
mpich-3.0.1/src/pm/hydra/tools/topo/hwloc/hwloc/src% file topology-x86.o
topology-x86.o: ELF 32-bit LSB relocatable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), not stripped

Thanks,
Mat
p.j.knowles

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mat,

The problem doesn't occur if I invoke the compiler directly, but via 'make' it does. I tried to cut it down a bit, and the following line:

Code:
source='topology-x86.c' object='topology-x86.lo' libtool=yes DEPDIR=.deps depmode=pgcc /bin/sh ../../../../../confdb/depcomp /bin/sh ../../../../../libtool --silent --tag=CC   --mode=compile /opt/pgi/linux86/12.10/bin/pgcc -I/home/andy/mpich-3.0.1/src/pm/hydra/tools/topo/hwloc/hwloc/include -DHWLOC_INSIDE_LIBHWLOC -c -o topology-x86.lo topology-x86.c

reproduces the problem.

Andy (Molpro team)
mkcolg

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy,

Sorry, i should have been more clear. I built MPICH 3.0.1 completely within it's make harness but did not see the error. I compiled it again outside of the make build and posted this just to show it compiling.

I'll continue to poke at it to see if I can get it to fail. When I see these types of issues my next step is to see if its a UMR or other memory problem who's behaviour is non-deterministic. I'll let you know what I find out.

- Mat
p.j.knowles

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mat,

I've done a bit more digging and think I've found the problem. The libtool script adds '-fpic' flag, so the following:

Code:
/opt/pgi/linux86/12.10/bin/pgcc -I/home/andy/mpich-3.0.1/src/pm/hydra/tools/topo/hwloc/hwloc/include -DHWLOC_INSIDE_LIBHWLOC -c topology-x86.c -fpic

fails to compile. Removing '-fpic' allows the file to compile. I'm not sure why you don't see the same behaviour. This machine is 32-bit hardware, running openSUSE 12.2.

Thanks,

Andy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PGI User Forum Forum Index -> Programming and Compiling All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: