PGI User Forum
 SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist     RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

CUDA-x86.

matrix reduction using cuda fortran and GPU
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PGI User Forum Forum Index -> Accelerator Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dolf

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:40 pm    Post subject: RE: Reply with quote

Quote:

-Mcuda=cc13, though you don't really need the cc13.

what does c13 switch do? how can I add that to Visual Studio 2010 property when I compile on windows?

Quote:

Maximum Threads per Block: 512
Maximum Block Dimensions: 512, 512, 64
Maximum Grid Dimensions: 65535 x 65535 x 1

does that mean that I can use block of (512,512,1) in Tesla C1060 instead of (32,16,1) I am currently using in GeForce?

Quote:

(32,16,1) That will work, though I've found a 16x16 typically works better.

what do you mean works better? does it mean faster? since that is the most important factor to my code.

many thanks,
Dolf
mkcolg

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"cc13" sets which compute capability (CC) to target. You can find which device supports which CC here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CUDA#Supported_GPUs

Quote:
does that mean that I can use block of (512,512,1) in Tesla C1060 instead of (32,16,1) I am currently using in GeForce?
No, the product of the three dimensions can not exceed the maximum threads per block (i.e. 512). So you can have a (512,1,1), or (1,512,1), or (32,16,1), or (8,1,64), etc, but not (512,512,1).

Quote:
what do you mean works better? does it mean faster? since that is the most important factor to my code.
Using the maximum number of threads may not always produce the fastest code. It's best to try a variety of schedules to see which one is optimal.

- Mat
Dolf

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:22 pm    Post subject: RE: Reply with quote

Perfect, I will try couple of schedules and see.

also Mat, I wanted to ask you if we can call a kernel, from another kernel, and how can we perform that.

so basically, I have two nested do loops, inside them I have a subroutine which have another two nested loops, I want to run all 4 loops into the GPU to increase speed.

please advice.

Dolf
mkcolg

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
also Mat, I wanted to ask you if we can call a kernel, from another kernel, and how can we perform that.
In CUDA Fortran, kernels can call "device" attributed routines. For dynamic parallelism, i.e. when one kernel calls another global kernel using the chevron syntax, we are in the process of adding this to the 13.x compilers (though you need a K20 device).

For OpenACC, you currently must inline routines (either manually or via compiler inlining) into compute regions (i.e. there is no true calling support). However, the proposed OpenACC 2.0 specification does add the "routine" directive to help aid in this and we are looking into ways to do this automatically by the compiler. However, these features wont be available till later this year.

- Mat
Dolf

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:13 pm    Post subject: RE: Reply with quote

Thanks Mat, I will keep looking for it.

cheers,
Dolf
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PGI User Forum Forum Index -> Accelerator Programming All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: