PGI User Forum
 SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist     RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

CUDA-x86.

pgaccelinfo output

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PGI User Forum Forum Index -> Accelerator Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cablesb

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 1:28 pm    Post subject: pgaccelinfo output Reply with quote

Reeeealll basic question here. Hope I don't sound lazy or stupid. Anyway: Could someone enlighten me as to the meaning of some of the output of pgacellinfo? I am particularly wondering about "Maximum Block Dimensions" and "Maximum Grid Dimensions." I have a rudimentary understanding of threads and thread blocks, but I'm not sure what pgacellinfo is telling me here. For instance, is "Maximum Block Dimensions" the maximum number of blocks you can have in the three "directions" or is it the maximum number of threads per block in each "direction" or ...? I don't think I have a clue as to what "Maximum Grid Dimensions" is. Thanks.
mkcolg

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi cablesb,

Each CUDA enabled device has a limit on the number of threads that can included in a Block as well as how they are indexed. This thread indexing is the "Block Dimension". So on my laptop's Quadro FX 880M, I can have up to 512 threads spread across three dimensions. The Max Block Dimension is 512,512,64. So I if I used all 512 threads, I could index them as a 512x1x1 block, or a 1x512x1 block, or a 4x4x32 block, etc. So the "Maximum Block Dimensions" is the maximum number a threads a particular dimension may index provided the product of the three dimensions does not exceed the maximum number of threads.

Similarly, the "Maximum Grid Dimensions" is the maximum number of blocks a grid may index. For my 880M, the grid dimension is 64k x 64k x 1. However, unlike the threads, you can us all 64k in each of the two dimensions.

- Mat
cablesb

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, one more question if you don't mind: The overall maximum number of threads, is that given in pgaccelinfo by the "Max Threads Per SMP" field? If not, could you tell me where it is given? Thanks!
mkcolg

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Max Threads Per SMP" is the maximum number of threads that can be running on a given streaming multiprocessor (SMP) at a given time. So on my C1060, I can have 512 threads per block and 1024 threads per SMP. So if use all 512 threads in a block, two blocks can be running on the same SMP (assume no other limits are hit). If I only use 256 threads per block, 4 blocks can be running.

Quote:
The overall maximum number of threads
The maximum to total possible threads would the max threads per block multiplied by the max grid size. Though, not all of them would be running at the same time.

On the C1060 this would be 512 x 65535 x 65535 x 1, on a GTX690 it's quite a bit larger at 1024 x 2147483647 x 65535 x 65535

- Mat
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PGI User Forum Forum Index -> Accelerator Programming All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: